Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Are those fly cultures in the tanks?

If so how do you have them set up? A couple small holes? Same amount of media?

Oh yeah nice room:D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Are those fly cultures in the tanks?

If so how do you have them set up? A couple small holes? Same amount of media?
My guess is that those are cultures that are almost done, and the lids are completely off so the frogs can go in there and eat any larvae that might be left...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Beautiful frog room! What size tanks are those really green grown in ones? And what kind of plants are covering the walls? Bravo I how to have one like this someday :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, yes it´s all most done cultures you can see..
The background is xaxim and the sidewall is brown silicone with xaxim-granulat.
The boxes on the bottom is for froglets.
The big tanks is 60x60x50 cm (23,6x23,6x19,6), the walls are covered with ficus pumila montana.
I will post more pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
915 Posts
buddy could you show us some more detail of your froglet tubs...spefically vetilation ,but all will be appreciated,would also like details of substrate and other contents. Beautiful work mate!!!
Stu

·
Registered
568 Posts
My guess is that those are cultures that are almost done, and the lids are completely off so the frogs can go in there and eat any larvae that might be left...
Should I be doing this???

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Where in Denmark are you? My inlaws have a farm between Præstø and Vordingborg.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You don't have to... Some people just like to do it to give their frogs a little extra food off dying fruit fly cultures. I usually don't do it. But if definitely doesn't hurt!
So, do you pull out all the excelcior and stick the culture in there? Would it be better to take a razor blade and cut off about half of the culture cup to make the whole thing smaller? I really like this idea as I hate throwing away old cultures even though they have like 5 flies in them. Is this better for large frogs? Would this be good for froglets? Sorry to hijack...this is amazing to me.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thanks for sharing your frog room with us. I love checking out how others house for their collections. Those tanks look lush!

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, do you pull out all the excelcior and stick the culture in there? Would it be better to take a razor blade and cut off about half of the culture cup to make the whole thing smaller? I really like this idea as I hate throwing away old cultures even though they have like 5 flies in them. Is this better for large frogs? Would this be good for froglets? Sorry to hijack...this is amazing to me.
You throw away old culture cups? mannn you must buy alot of cups...
I've been cycling the same 18 cups for about half a month...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I live near Koege (Køge) it´s about 30 km form Præstø.

I never throw the used cups away, I´m using them over and over again, at least 20 times, I just like to give the frogs the last of the flyes and there is also some small mites the frogs like to eat. But beware the mites can explode in numbers, and cause stress to the frog..

Here is an little update on pic..

1 months old

After 4 months

"Regina"

Quarantine

Fly cultures

Epipedobates anthonyi male garding eggs

Ventri Tads

Ranitomeya imitator_Chazuta..

And last.. Ranitomeya amazonica.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Oh nice, my wife and I were considering moving to Køge when she was looking for work in København. Your tanks and frogs are awesome by the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts