Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if you had a 10 x 15 room and were interested in thumbnail species, what would you do with the space? Looking for ideas that are simple and things that are must haves, thanx

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any ideas for cement floors? This is my detached garage, with the heat on the floor is still quite cold, I will be adding a heater air conditioner into the part im blocking off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My frog/reptile room is in my basement with concrete floor. Use racks to keep your vivs on. Is it insulated? I insulated my and with the door closed and an oil filed radiator for heat, I can keep it easily at 74 deg during the winter.

Other suggestions would be sink and a table to use.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes insulated, wish I had plumbing out there, I might have to figure something out. Thanks guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
For my frog room I am using black bakers racks. They work great allowing for almost infinite shelf adjustment. I can use zip ties to secure power cords and misting lines etc. The shelves will bow a little so I purchased 3/8" ply at $10 a sheet for added support. Lowes sells black T8 shop fixtures for $12 each. I only use one bulb in the fixture. This is plenty of light for the plants. I also hung nice power strips to the racks the plugged them into timers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The other thing I wish I would have done is makes drains for each viv. It would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drains are something I almost forgot, def need those, love the suggestions guys, pretty sure im going with 2x4's and ply wood for shelves, either painted or stained.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A RODI station might be nice to have if you are able to run a hose to the garage you can have a reservoir inside with a spigot. so you have accesiblity to fresh water at all times. its nice wether your hand misting, refilling misting reservoirs, or doing water changes with tad containers :)
I only have a 5 gallon container with spigot, but wish it was larger! they make food grade a 55g barrels that are white, and pretty cheap.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can't wait to see your new frog room ED, what with you being so handy & having such a knack for detail and planning it should be sweet ! :D Oh by the way when are you getting Jeff's thumbs ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like you're building two new walls. You could put split receptacles along the walls at a convenient height, with one circuit being 24 hours, the other controlled by a timer. One for critical systems, the other for lighting.

Andrew

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heat and air? Its 150 sq ft and insulated, outside temps go from-20f to over 100f, but mostly 10f to 90f. Anyone have any suggestions to keep it between 71 and 76 inside?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depending on how fancy ($$$) you want to get, a Heat pump or MiniSplit would be the most cost effective options.

The Mini Splits probably meet your need the best as they are less expensive and designed for a small space. They will save you a lot of money in the long run over a space heater and provide both heat and cooling for year round climate control.

My 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
ed,

knocked this out, did it three high, but there was no room for the last light (would have needed 8' 8" ceilings... sorry), also you didnt have enough room for 3 wide of the 24" cubes and the supports of the rack
here is it 2 viv high with 29s instead of 20s since they are the same as a 20, just deeper (you get more viv with out loosing critical space (the frogs will thank you for the 29 over the 20 ;) )
the theory in building the rack is the back 2x4 is lag bolted into the wall then there are front legs to carry the cantilevered weight. will be tough as nails!

Ed room under 8' by Brookly - Google 3D Warehouse

1 - 20 of 64 Posts