Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Melissa and I want to thank all the gentlemen who helped us with all the painting, heavy lifting, and killing spiders over the last few weeks. With out your help we never would have gotten this far on the frog room this quick! Still have some work to get done before the 14th but we are well on the way to completing it in time......

So special thanks to:
kermit
kyle1745
nightdwarf
outlawvizsla
Rodeoweasel
tad604

A few tads and froglets

For Jared -- a pic of Melissa:

Pic of Sarah (with special guest appearance of outlawvizsla in the far right hand corner of the pic)

G

·
0 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, now I can pic you all out in a crowd :lol:

So Sarah, you go with the 4ft shop lights? Are they dual shoplights? Which bulbs do you use? Just asking cause I'm a compact lover myself but I love how those racks are setup.

Are you gonna post an updated availability list with a price list?

G

·
0 Posts
Thank you for once again letting me see all your wonderful froggies. Sorry I couldn't hang around longer, I wish I could have seen it finished/all put together. I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks I guess.

-Tad

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes they are four foot shop lights that are attached to the shelf above. Some of them are T8's with 6,500K bulbs and some of the are T10's(?) with a high K bulb (have to look to see what those are).

As for availability list......I'll get it revised in the next two weeks....

Tad, even though you couldn't stay you helped a bunch!!! We really can't thank everyone enough!

On a side note, the Imitators and Intermedius are calling back and forth right now. Very, very cool........

G

·
0 Posts
I guess they settled in quicker than we thought....glad i was able to help.

Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have the same 4 ft shop lights in my room on all of my tanks and I just use regular lights that you get at home depot and my plants grow like crazy I always have to clip them. And Jarad if you ever get a chance you can go see the ladies at the columbus show or the shellbyville show.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for having me down there today. it was cool to see some one else collection and killing some one else spider collection also lol lol . u guys were super cool to hang with for the day, and i also made it back in time to take my daughter trick or treating so life is good :lol: but thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Steve,

There are actually 2 sizes we use. If you go to Superior Enterprise's web site http://www.reptilepackaging.com we use 2 different sizes.

The 6 3/4" containers we use for froglets older than 2 weeks can be found on this page: http://www.reptilepackaging.com/675clearprice.htm The item number is C6-80 are 80 oz and measure 6.75" x 6.0".

The 9 3/4" containers we use for frogs we are raising to a larger size before we sell them, or for new breeding stock can be found on this page: http://www.reptilepackaging.com/975clearprice.htm The item number is C9-190 are 190 oz and measure 9.75" x 6.0".

These containers are a very economical solution to house froglets.

Melis

steelcube said:
Sarah/Melissa... what's the size of container that you use on the top shelf for the froglets??

SB

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the info Melissa... How do you setup the container for housing the froglets (ie substrates, hiding places)? and do you make holes on the container?

The reason I am asking is that I am having problems with raising my froglets using the shoebox setup.... had a few incidents where they died on me... :( Mine seems to prefer bigger tanks, but it maybe because I don't know the trick.

Thanks for your input.

SB

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We put coco husk chips on the bottom for drainage and a high quality long fiber sphagnum on top of that. Then we put cuttings of live plants and leaf litter. We buy the containers without the holes in them (the holes are too big and FF's escape). Then we use a thumbtack and poke holes all around the top of the lid near the outside edge (so FF's don't escape). When you stack them on top of each other you still get airflow. As for hides we usually use plastic plant pots with a door cut out of them or small piece of curved cork bark. Plus the leaf litter gives them a place to hide as well.

We found a few things:
1) The container is smaller then say a 10G tank and so they can find their food better.
2) FF's can't escape so you know how much they are eating.
3) They grow larger quicker. (Because they eat more -- less FF escapes)
4) They are more robust and outgoing. I think this is because the containers are perfectly clear and there is always alot of activity in the frog room so they aren't as afraid when someone comes near them.
5) Our loss rate is nearly zero. This is because you can actually see them every day and check on them vs. trying to find the froglets in a planted tank.

G

·
0 Posts
Sarah, I don's see any sort of plumbing for drainage or misting. How do you deal with that? Do you use a sprayer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts