Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 P. Bicolor about 15 months of age. I just noticed that they have started bobbing up and down like they are doing push ups. Is this something that they start doing as they mature? I have heard no calling so far, the average house temperature has dropped very slightly in the last month or so. 3 degrees maybe. I think it's endearing, however I would like to know more about what's going on in their frog heads if anyone has some insight. Oh btw, this usually happens when I have my face close to the glass watching their feeding antics.
Thanks
Seth

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds like an aggressive gesture to me. Bicolors should be fine together, but just try to notice which one is doing the bobbing and if others are loosing weight or not coming up to eat. If this occurs, then you will need to separate some of them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two of the three have been doing pushups more than the other one. The one that doesn't push-up stays on the other half of the tank but is the biggest and eats like a pig and does its thing with no indication of cowering away from the "push-uppers". The other two dummies leave each other alone until feeding time. I have observed them hoping on top/over eachother but have only once seen one stay on top of the other for more than a quick second. But both went back to eating immediately. I haven't come to any bad conclusions so far. ( I say this in case my description reads negative.) Side note, two have mostly yellow chins and the third has a little bit more black mottling but not enough that it's easy to distinguish from the others at a glance. I will continue observations. Let me know what you think please.
Thank you

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is hard to tell them apart. Just keep an eye on them and separate if needed. Aggression can be very subtle and I know I am not one to be able to tell subtle communication from aggression.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After further observation I believe the push ups are a feeding response or anticipatory reaction before lunging for food. I normally feed hydei to the p. bicolor, however, I got some 1/4" crickets and the frogs went bonkers hunting them. The frog would follow a single cricket around doing pushups with much vigor and proceed to butcher its victim before moving on to the next. It was beautiful.

It seemed like it was worth more of their energy to pursue a larger food source. In the next feeding they were presented with melanogaster. The reception was at best nonchalant.
As always I will keep an eye out for signs of aggression, stress, weight loss etc..
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That may prove to be difficult...I will keep camera at the ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think its just communication. I had fire belly toads that use to do that. I noticed that the Darts twitch there middle toe, when they are hunting/eating.
I noticed that to with the middle toe. I thought it was a nerve twitching thing. :eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, as I watch my wee beasties destroy more flies....I might have over"thunk" this twitch motion. It could be as simple as the end result of swallowing a food item...lots of other frogs use muscles to swallow that make their eyes sink into their heads to help push down food. Im 50/50 on which it could be...communication of some sort or a muscular reaction to swallowing. I do a lot of gazing at my frogs and things like these keep my brain busy. Gotta love the little bastards...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts