Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing because I have seen multiple threads on treatments for frogs with worms or other problems. Most of the threads lead to problems after the frog has come down with symptoms. My question is what do others do for preventive care? I realize that buying a frog it should be isolated once received but what sort of treatments can I give the frog without endangering it or causing other ill effects?

The reason I am asking is that I read that several members use preventive treatments even though the frog isn’t showing any signs of illness or parasites. What are the treatments? What worming medicine do you give for preventive care?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Fecal checks on the frogs are the best preventative care you can take with them. Prophylactic treatments unless the frog is diagnosed with a parasite are not recommended. This is the current cutting edge approach http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...regular-treatment-parasites-4.html#post298624 for parasites in frogs.

There are models/evidence coming out in the literature now that are indicating that parasite infections in unexposed animals are much worse than for those animals that have been exposed to a specific parasite. See for example ScienceDirect.com - Biological Conservation - Optimal release strategies for captive-bred animals in reintroduction programs: Experimental infections using the guppy as a model organism

Some comments,

Ed

Reactions: fystol
1 - 2 of 2 Posts