Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some more reed frogs from our backyard in Congo. If you know anything about the spotted frog let me know.

Attachments

Reactions: tardis101

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some more pics from the yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
You seriously have the coolest backyard I've heard of.

That looks like a spiderman agama but it seems too small? Do you know what it is?

That snake in the middle looks like a slug eater. Amazing stuff keep posting.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very cool! I have always wanted to visit DRC. Were the frogs just in the trees/bushes in your yard? Or did you have to go closer to the river to find them?

That looks like a spiderman agama but it seems too small? Do you know what it is?
Agama cf. agama (I think. I didn't think they were found anywhere but Bas-Congo in DRC). I think the "spiderman agama" you're thinking of is A. mwanzae from Tanzania, Rwanda & Kenya.

I think it just looks small because of the picture.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Cool thanks... Yes, that's the one.

Agama cf. agama (I think. I didn't think they were found anywhere but Bas-Congo in DRC). I think the "spiderman agama" you're thinking of is A. mwanzae from Tanzania, Rwanda & Kenya.

I think it just looks small because of the picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very cool! I have always wanted to visit DRC. Were the frogs just in the trees/bushes in your yard? Or did you have to go closer to the river to find them

Some were found on the airstrip, which is basically our back yard. Maybe 100ft or so. The striped reed frogs are found near our fish ponds a little closer to the river. They're down a hill from our house maybe 300 yards or so. I frequent them often and have been gathering native plants to build a viv for some frogs. The pickergills reed frog is listed as extremely endangered and I the locals say they rarely see them. We caught 4 in one night. I would like to start a breeding program here to supplement their numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a baby rock agama. I know it is not a frog but I thought you guys could forgive me.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Awesome find... Are you in a rural area or somewhat urban?

I would guess rural but I'm just curious since you have such a wide array of wild life in your yard...

It is a rainy day here in Congo. It brought out all kinds of creatures. Here is a Gabon Viper from our yard. The picture isn't great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome find... Are you in a rural area or somewhat urban?

I would guess rural but I'm just curious since you have such a wide array of wild life in your yard...
We live in a village of about 1500 people. There is no plumbing, nor electricity except for what we make our selves and the "grocery store" is 24 hours away by jeep. We are pretty rural :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Figured, very cool... Sounds amazing and I'd say it doesn't get more off the grid than that :)

I was curious so I had to ask.

Thanks for sharing and keep the pics coming :)

We live in a village of about 1500 people. There is no plumbing, nor electricity except for what we make our selves and the "grocery store" is 24 hours away by jeep. We are pretty rural :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts