Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the idea of small colourful frogs hopping around a beautiful planted viv, so when I saw a paludarium I completely fell in love. I have never kept frogs before but have experience with snakes and lizards and I did some research and was completely baffled by all the long Latin names. could anyone give me some advice on what frogs to put in, how big the tank should be and what do the frogs eat because fruitflys are the only one I have heard of before and different species eat different stuff. And one more thing: do these frogs drown as lots of people say different things

·
Registered
802 Posts
Most of the advice you're looking for is stickied in the beginners section.

Fruit flies are a great primary food source. Don't forget to supplement them with an appropriate multivitamin.

As for how big the tank should be and what kind of frogs you should put in it. That's up to you. What kind of frogs you want will affect how big the tank should be and how many you can responsibly put in there. Search around the "members frogs and vivariums" subforum to see different frogs and get a feel for ones you may like.

Common "first-frogs" are Leucomelas, Auratus, and Tinc morphs (with azureus being my first frogs). Should be fine with any of those as they're fairly forgiving of new keepers.

I wouldn't do a paludarium first. That's a bit more complicated than a simple vivarium. Instead, I'd suggest starting with a vivarium and getting the hang of frogging. Learn to culture fruit flies, keep the frogs happy, and get some experience working with planted vivs in general. Then when you set up a paludarium later you have some experience to pull from and it will turn out much better. It'll also probably end up turning out much more like what you envision your paludarium right now turning out as.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
They can swim but swimming is not their thing. I think water is ok as long as there are many easy escape routes for them. Just my opinion, though I have not had a tank with deep water. I do have a pond in my Leuc tank that is about an inch or so deep with some stones that come up to near the surface. They hop from stone to stone. They can get out when they fall in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i say you study and keep looking around the forum and take notes and plan a head of time you should practice on small frogs like the fire belly toads and get use to cleaning and feeding there a good start to get in the hobbie it takes good amount of time starting once you have accomplished that it will be easy to go on from there

·
Registered
68 Posts
Laura you sound like the girlfriend of Aaron at AAAfrogs.com :) same pets already - i would take a look around as many threads as possible and simply ask questions as much as you can. I started with azureus and while one of them recently passed away i am still in love with them. Great frogs to begin with - I highly recomend them.

other great resources are you tube and facebook - most of the online stores have an active facebook community and run a number of tutorial videos. Culturing fruit flys would be something i would recommend learning about as its WAY to expensive to buy from petco/petsmart and you get next to nothing. I have had a few culture crash's since i began but thankfully i have a few local people who can help out in the event of a problem.

If you want take a look at our youtube channel at YouTube AAAfrogs's Channel - we have a loads of informative videos on getting started and our new bi weekly Frogcast covers a lot of different areas in its segments.

·
Registered
713 Posts
you should practice on small frogs like the fire belly toads
Why should this person keep fire bellies when they do not have an interest? :confused: That's not very good advice gio, IMO.

As peanutbutter pointed out, I've had a great time with my Tincs and Leuc's.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why should this person keep fire bellies when they do not have an interest? :confused: That's not very good advice gio, IMO.

As peanutbutter pointed out, I've had a great time with my Tincs and Leuc's.
I was thinking the same thing, and the habitat for firebellies is completely different. Start with Tincs, auratus, or leucs. Leucs and tincs are more bold than auratus, if you want to see your frogs alot (and most people do), go with leucs or tincs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts