Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just working on my jar to reflect my website. I thought it was glass, but it appears to be a 20" x 10" acrylic cylinder. I have new ideas for internal lighting, but right now I just want to see how comfortable a thumbnail would be inside it. So far my imi varadero is happy and still exploring. I'm debating how two would feel in there, but I'd rather not have to deal with breeding since this is for displaying individuals.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've really been wanting to do one of these soon. Any clue where I can get a precut piece like this? Would be a really cool vivarium for thumbnails. Obviously only one or two but I think with the height you can make it work if designed well. This looks great!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Travis,

Well I bought the cylinder. They state it's glass, but James was looking at it and said he thought it was acrylic. I scraped an edge and what looked like dust came off, so I'm guessing he's right.

I put together everything about two weeks ago. So far the LEDs seems to be okay for the plants since I do see growth. I haven't had a problem with fogging so far. But I just put the Varadero in two days ago.

The height and diameter are about the same as a 10 gallon tank. But since it's a cylinder the lack of edges makes you lose 3.5 gallons. I honestly think gallons is not the best way to be making the determination. With more foliage growth for hiding and canopy for arboreal movement, I think it could work for two imis. And as a cylinder the Varadero has an easy time getting around (no pun intended). However I wouldn't want to try to get eggs or tadpole out of this. I just thought it's visually nicer with two. Maybe for juvies or something.

Justin

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
While I like the idea of a cylindrical viv, this viv is only around 6 gallons.... Way too small for permanent viv, even for a small thumbnail like an imitator.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
can you get them in bigger sizes ? seems like a cool idea
They get exponentially more expensive the bigger they get.....I looked into a 4 foot tall with 3 foot diameter cylinder for a reef tank and it was around $5000 and that was the cheapest I could find.....Of course the bigger they are the thicker they are also good ones are a single cast and not a sheet that is heat treated to be bent and welded. Those were a bit cheaper but weaker and there was a seam. But for a viv the seam could be hidden and don't have to hold the pressure of water weight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I could find a 24" x 12" I would. But they don't make them that size and it would look huge on a desk. The 20" x 10" actually fits nicely.

I'm starting to disagree that 20" x 10" wouldn't work well for even two. These aren't fish and as such using gallons is just a bad measurement. Probably better for discussing boxes, and then we start expanding the measurements to include which is height and which is width.

Oddly, the 2007 Poison Dart Frogs (Complete Herp Care) by Amanda Sihler and Greg Sihler states 2.5 gallons is fine for a thumbnail. While again, I don't think these guys are the experts and I don't agree with using gallons as a measurement is good, I do find it interesting they distinguish between sizes of frogs.

auratus61, I'll send ya a PM.

Justin

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I really like the look of it.....You can always try it and keep an eye on them for stress or aggression. I bet if you had a male/female it might be even better. I know in my 60 cube they(1.2) are hardly ever away from each other even with all that room more often then not they are in close proximity to each other....Might have to start looking again for a cylinder.....Great looking tube.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It looks fantastic, but I'm thinking it's going to be a nightmare to keep looking nice once the plants take off. How has misting been? How do you keep it off the viewing area?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm starting to disagree that 20" x 10" wouldn't work well for even two. These aren't fish and as such using gallons is just a bad measurement. Probably better for discussing boxes, and then we start expanding the measurements to include which is height and which is width.

Oddly, the 2007 Poison Dart Frogs (Complete Herp Care) by Amanda Sihler and Greg Sihler states 2.5 gallons is fine for a thumbnail. While again, I don't think these guys are the experts and I don't agree with using gallons as a measurement is good, I do find it interesting they distinguish between sizes of frogs.
I'd say the initial idea behind the argument is fair. A well set up 18" cube is going to be a better than a 60 gallon tank with a paper towel and a water bowl. But when we discuss how many gallons per frog you should have, we're usually assuming that the tank is a well set up tank that utilizes the space that the gallons provide. So gallons isn't really that bad a measurement.

The suggestion that 2.5 gallons per thumb is fine as a general rule is asinine. I know a few people who could pull that off, but not many. But even assuming that 2.5 gallons per thumb is fine, why would you _want_ to cram two frogs into 5 gallons? I'm assuming you wouldn't want to be locked in your bathroom with your significant other for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I'd say the initial idea behind the argument is fair. A well set up 18" cube is going to be a better than a 60 gallon tank with a paper towel and a water bowl. But when we discuss how many gallons per frog you should have, we're usually assuming that the tank is a well set up tank that utilizes the space that the gallons provide. So gallons isn't really that bad a measurement.

The suggestion that 2.5 gallons per thumb is fine as a general rule is asinine. I know a few people who could pull that off, but not many. But even assuming that 2.5 gallons per thumb is fine, why would you _want_ to cram two frogs into 5 gallons? I'm assuming you wouldn't want to be locked in your bathroom with your significant other for an extended period of time.
First I'd agree 2.5 gallons per thumb is pushing it (at least), but there is a long history of pairs of thumbs in a 10 gal (that most would probably consider "successful") and seeing that many thumbs tend to stick to the back wall/plantings his cylinder is basically a 10vert without much of a front yard area. His plantings look like they are pushing near the front glass, and the upper front of most 10verts is just wasted space. Basically create an imaginary plane from the top back to a bottom front of a 10 vert and everything behind that plane is the most used area... his tank essentially just does away with the unused area. He looses a little useful real estate, but most of what is sacrificed isn't prime area. So seems to me there is likely more then enough for 1 adult. (But IMO, not quite enough for 2)

In a typical 10 vert the frogs would have 5gal per frog...if he is keeping a single adult frog in that tank its getting 6.5 gal all to itself, and nearly all the most typically used area that a 10 vert would have. So from my perspective I wouldn't have a problem keeping a single adult in a tank like that, especially the way he has it setup/planted...a pair though, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with. My guess is it can be done, and may even work out the majority of the time as far as the frogs living long lives and breeding but I think at that point you are just pushing your luck more then is responsible.

Of course I'd love to see 15-20 gal verts for every pair of frogs :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Hu? Your explanation doesn't explain why gallons are a good measurement. You compare an 18" cube to a 60 gallon tank. I have no idea what the measurements are for a 60 gallon tank. You're simply saying is larger is better assuming everything is equal. Could you explain more clearly how this is a fair measurement? I'd like to understand better. How many gallons is your house? I measure mine in square feet, Unfortunately I'm not arboreal. I think it makes more sense to think in three dimensional terms beyond floor space since we're discussing an arboreal species. If the frogs make use of the glass and multiple levels of canopy, it needs to be taken into consideration.

A film canister to a thumbnail might be a more apt comparative to a bathroom for people. And interestingly enough that's exactly where my frogs like to spend an extended period of time together.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First I'd agree 2.5 gallons per thumb is pushing it (at least), but there is a long history of pairs of thumbs in a 10 gal (that most would probably consider "successful") and seeing that many thumbs tend to stick to the back wall/plantings his cylinder is basically a 10vert without much of a front yard area. His plantings look like they are pushing near the front glass, and the upper front of most 10verts is just wasted space. Basically create an imaginary plane from the top back to a bottom front of a 10 vert and everything behind that plane is the most used area... his tank essentially just does away with the unused area. He looses a little useful real estate, but most of what is sacrificed isn't prime area. So seems to me there is likely more then enough for 1 adult. (But IMO, not quite enough for 2)

In a typical 10 vert the frogs would have 5gal per frog...if he is keeping a single adult frog in that tank its getting 6.5 gal all to itself, and nearly all the most typically used area that a 10 vert would have. So from my perspective I wouldn't have a problem keeping a single adult in a tank like that, especially the way he has it setup/planted...a pair though, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with. My guess is it can be done, and may even work out the majority of the time as far as the frogs living long lives and breeding but I think at that point you are just pushing your luck more then is responsible.

Of course I'd love to see 15-20 gal verts for every pair of frogs :)
Most of my frogs do tend to use the glass. I agree, much of the space we discuss in gallons tends to go unused. I like those tanks Pumilio designed with the angled fronts which remove that space from the equation. This also seems to suggest gallons really is a term that should be referenced to cubes and rectangles.

In it's current state it's only good for one frog. I'll post in a few months when it's grown in. I think the full canopy will make a difference.

Justin

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hu? Your explanation doesn't explain why gallons are a good measurement. You compare an 18" cube to a 60 gallon tank. I have no idea what the measurements are for a 60 gallon tank. You're simply saying is larger is better assuming everything is equal. Could you explain more clearly how this is a fair measurement? I'd like to understand better. How many gallons is your house? I measure mine in square feet, Unfortunately I'm not arboreal. I think it makes more sense to think in three dimensional terms beyond floor space since we're discussing an arboreal species. If the frogs make use of the glass and multiple levels of canopy, it needs to be taken into consideration.

A film canister to a thumbnail might be a more apt comparative to a bathroom for people. And interestingly enough that's exactly where my frogs like to spend an extended period of time together.
This is essentially what you are arguing..

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...mixing-multispecies-exhibits-2.html#post28627

1 - 20 of 47 Posts