Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yes it is. Tincs become more aggressive as they grow, that is why it is recommended to split up groups when aggression is witnessed or if some froglets in a group outpace the others.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Roughly? Starting around 4-6 months, 6-8 months? At what point do they begin to get aggressive toward each other or start to make their territorial claims? Just in general.
There really is no absolute. I just recently sold off two of my three female green sips, but until that point they had lived together peacefully for over a year. Some people will say such a thing is impossible, while some of the veteran froggers will point out how keeping tincs in groups used to be the norm. Just keep an eye on them and either adjust their tank setup to provide more visual barriers and other territorial divisions or split them up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The are all roughly the same age and when they moved to the tank a couple of months ago they were for the most part all the same size, But one got huge fast! And it was dominating the enclouser. After the the death i moved it to another empty viv and the rest now come out more ofter and have been more bold that what was orginally noticed.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Roughly? Starting around 4-6 months, 6-8 months? At what point do they begin to get aggressive toward each other or start to make their territorial claims? Just in general.
It really is difficult to say as there is no concrete age where they all suddenly become territorial. For example, I've had tinc froglets "gang up" on a smaller frog through food competition, causing one to be small and much thinner and less active, as early as a few weeks out of the water. On the other hand, I also raised two female azureus up together from tadpoles and they were fine with no aggression until at 2.5 years old, I added males and they started breeding. So, keeping in mind that this is not set in stone and the most important thing is to carefully observe them and watch for one becoming weaker than the other, I have found that the majority of the time tincs start to become territorially aggressive around 5-6 months old, depending on the enclosure, and competitive over breeding as they mature, which can be as early as around 7-10 months.
Hope that helps but there is no substitute for a good look at them every so often and how they interact, look physically, and eat.
Bryan

Reactions: bshmerlie and Tony

·
Registered
658 Posts
I purchased 3 Azureus froglets last June, which would make these guys a bit over 1 year old. I have posted pics of them and now know I have 1 male 2 females (1:2) They live in a 20 gallon tank. I was told to remove one of the females as they will compete for the male. I did remove her (3 months ago) and put her in her own 10 gallon tank. She did not eat one fly while she was all alone for 2 weeks. She was getting thin!! I put her back in with the other two Azureus and threw in flies and BINGO she ate. I have not had any aggression issues with them as of this date. Will this be the trio of Azureus frogs that can live with each other (2% odds)? I'll find out. This tank is in our kitchen window, so I see them all the time. Just so weird why the female did not want to eat by herself:confused:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not only interesting, but I have gotten many clutches of eggs from the pair and the "LONE" female is happy in the tank. I am awaiting for my first froglet which is due to come out of the water any day now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts