Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you mix frog colors of the same species? I know it's not recommended to mix species, but can you put frogs like yellow galacs and red galacs together?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You most certainly can, but they will more-than-likely hybridize. Now as far as mate selection between color morphs... we shall see about that one in two years or so....
j

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if you have herad, more than likely you have, but hybridization is strongly looked down upon in this hobby.
j

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it really hybridization if they are the same species? I have seen alot of pics where poeple are keeping several color morphs of tincs together. Would it be that bad to happen across a new color morph?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well these populations are spacially separated in the wild (well most-- I'll generalize for now excluding D. pumilio). You would not see different D. galactonotus types together. So in that regard, I think it would be very bad to have a new D. tinctorius morph.
j

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please dont mix. im not even going to get into why, but im sure if you do a search you can find out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you have one of 2 choices. destroy the eggs or dont mix. if you want a show tank then mix away. if you want to breed than dont mix. simple.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, don't think me an a$$, but I thought captive breeding programs have the intent on developing new color strains. I understand the "they don't occur in nature" statement, but other hobbies do it with favorable results.

Jack Wattley has done it with Discus, creating gorgeous healty extremely desireable fish like leopard skins, blue diamonds, etc.

Sandfire Dragon Ranch and others have bred incredible colors of bearded dragons like white, salmon, tangerine, etc.

All these animals are healthy and most are highly desireable. One breeder I know of has waiting lists for his leucistic dragons, so do others with colors.

I'm not arguing, just trying to understand. I have searched but only keep finding statements like "don't interbreed, it's not right". Why not? If the frogs produced are healthy and the only side effect is a new color pattern, what's the fuss. We are not releasing these frogs back into the wild, and in the wild they have fantastic colors occuring naturally anyway so who would care.

Please don't flame me, my flame suit is at the cleaners. I'm just discussing a curious question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best answer I've heard is "they don't want the greed/confusion of snake" market. People marking things as one thing when its another (or parental line is different than what is claimed).

The real reason (or so the cynic in me thinks) is lots of hobbyists have a narcissicistic belief that their frogs may "save the species" and one will be released into the wild as part of a breeding plan.

That being said. I don't recommend it. It has to make the whole practice of keeping the animals a little more difficult increases the chances of exposure to parasites that one animal doesn't have proper resistance too, and lots of people may not be nice to you.

And lastly as someone else will surely point out... you said it yourself they come in so many amazing beautiful colors in the wild, why would you want for anything else?

Has anyone seen a purple frog? just curious..

/personally thinks the status quo is fine at the very least until some sort of formal registry is in place.

·
Super Moderator
3,607 Posts
Hybridization

I'm no expert, in fact I've only been keeping darts for a few weeks, but if I recall correctly from a previous thread on this topic, the reasons for not interbreeding in darts specifically have more to do with preservation than not introducing new color variants into the hobby. Many of these Dendrobatids are endangered, and more and more of their habitat is lost daily due to logging, clear cutting for farmland, and general population expantion, and this can't rightly be said about leopard gex or bearded dragons. It's likely that eventually the only viable members of some species will be the ones in the hands of private collectors. If interbreeding and hybridization becomes wholly accepted, it will become more and more difficult to trace the breeding records of the frogs, and it will become less and less likely that the frogs in your collection are indeed purebred. Who knows, science may discover one day that the cure for cancer exists only in the skin secretions of a certain Pumilio or Tinc, and if the lines of this frog have been corrupted, and no more exist in the wild...though luck to the cancer patients. Like I said, I'm a newbie, so feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, and I'll apologize most sincerily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just want to say that that was an excellent post Dane. thats exactly what i am concerned about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*sigh*

If the conservation effort comes to rely upon hobbyists, its already to late.

Don't think keeping frogs as pets is going to save the species*, go donate some money to a conservation fund.

*Well the economic side effect of sustainable collection of wc frogs might help preserve them in the wild.

·
Super Moderator
3,607 Posts
You're right, Tad. I am so, so sorry. But by "hobbyists" I had intended to encompass the specimens held by zoological organizations and breeders, which would likely not be indefinately sustainable, but would increase the general duration of the animals existence.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the newly introduced "Glo Fish"? It's the new species of zebra danio that had it's genes spliced with the dna from corals. This created a fish that glows in the dark a beautiful red color. They were created to help identify poluted waters but the hobby demended them and now they are finally available in fish stores. They have been patented and trademarked, however, and are not legally allowed to be bred by hobbyists although we know this will happen because the hobbyists will do it.

The same could happen with the frogs. A new color, pattern, who knows maybe a glow in the dark frog :idea:

I don't think the conservation idea is feasable, but I too am worried that the rainforests might be gone one day. Good thing obtaining WC frogs is illegal.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts