Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Ed/Frank and others:

Does anyone know if different carotenoids compete for being taken up by frogs?

Lets say you are supplementing beta-carotene (say spirulina/paprika) and astaxanthin (Paracoccus/Naturose/Pfaffia rhodozyma etc.).

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Interesting stuff:

I have been supplementing some pumilio with a mix of carotenoids(Repashy superpig in the FF media, dusting with paracoccus powder and spirulina)...and I swear it looks like the female is turning more yellow orange over time(when I first got her she was more of a reddish orange). I am a bit red/green colorblind-but I have found it has become more difficult for me to tell her apart from the male who is a yellow/gold colored.

Reactions: findi

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Ed: I will try straight paracoccus instead of the mix...perhaps selective uptake or blocking is indeed occurring.

I've been reading a book on bird pigments/color signaling. Neat stuff. Especially the noted differences between psittacofulvin being unaffected by dietary quality versus the carotenoid expression of passerines etc. Also, that many birds(but presumably not frogs) have enzymes to convert yellow carotenoids(like beta carotene?) to red pigments. Again a wild source of astaxanthin for frogs seems to be lacking.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Ed: Hmm...is their any creature that is high in astaxanthins that would be suitable for culturing to feed frogs? I recall hobby isopods have been found not to contain carotenoids the way shrimp do. I'd bet terrestrial amphipods are no different.

Also, it is interesting to look at old debates on "enhancing" frogs to become more colorful than in nature. Theoretically, this is possible. Apparently the wingtip colors of Cedar Waxwings change from sulphur yellow to orange when they feed on a newly introduced berry apparently rich in carotenoids that can be turned into red pigment.

Reactions: findi
1 - 4 of 4 Posts