Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can frogs get cancer? I looked in my tank today to see my male tinc dead with some sort of lump like thing protruding from his right side. Any ideas as to what this is?

G

·
From what ive read you can NOT get cancer if your body is alkaline,(as opposed to acidic), and if the (wild) frogs poison is alkaloid based( but im not sure if this is the same thing), then i dont think they could get cancer. But maybe a captive frog could. :?:

I really just confused myself on that one. :?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That’s too bad, sorry about your frog. I would think frogs can get cancer; I mean isn't cancer just an advanced state of cell division/production?
ADAM

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do you have a pic?

G

·
dart frog poison is alkaloid based? as far as I knew, alkaloids were plant defenses. interesting...I should research this more.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No pictures, I know i should have taken a pic before disposing of it... but it was pretty gross looking...
Actually, we were just talking about cancerous cells in biology today, and from what my teacher told us, it is basically when a larger than normal amount of cells get mutated durring the replication process. So you would think that any animal would be able to get it. I should have seen something like this comming, as he was not moving very much and when him and the female would begin courting, he gave up after a tiny bit even thought the female was still interested. I just wish i would have been able to get some eggs out of them; the female just turned breeding age. Oh, well, i guess I'll just have to start saving up for a male.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts