Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my frogs Tuesday. One concern I have about my setup is that my bromeliads are mostly attatched vertically to vertical surfaces higher up in the terrarium. It seems like the frogs may have a difficult time getting into them.
Is there some other way I could mount a Bromeliad to give the frogs better access? Or will the frogs find a way to get into them? Is accesibility something I should be taking into consideration?

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
What frogs are you planing on getting? Some frogs don’t use broms. I don’t know how big the tank is but the broms seem quiet small and I dont think they‘ll go in them unless your thinking on getting ranitomeyas or oophagas which are mainly arboreal. if your planing on getting thinks/auratus/Leucs/terribilis they mainly stay at the bottom and hide where the cork bark is. If you are getting oophagas I have seen mine do like going in to the broms and I would recomend getting a couple medium big neoregelia for them to hide.

good luck with your frogs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting Tincs. I was thinking the broms would be very small for them. Although, they will be juveniles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In my experience tincs don't use broms hardly at all, so I wouldn't worry about. Just for aesthetics, I would add a couple of larger broms though. They might go into them if you have a couple of larger ones. I wouldn't worry about accessibility as they can get wherever they want in my experience. Mine have even climbed straight up the glass to the top before.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I’m thinking of going spider plant. It may do the same thing as a brom, but be a bit larger for the tincs to hid in/around.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
There have been a few recommendations from knowledgable folks here to not use spider plants in a viv, as their root systems will certainly tear things apart, and be impossible to remove. I've had pot bound houseplant specimens tear plastic pots easily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been a few recommendations from knowledgable folks here to not use spider plants in a viv, as their root systems will certainly tear things apart, and be impossible to remove. I've had pot bound houseplant specimens tear plastic pots easily.
Oh. I didn’t mean spider plant. I meant snake plant.
I’m glad you told me, though. Was also considering spider plant for a different area.

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
I don’t think they’ll hold enough water but I would try 2 bigger broms just in case they like them to sleep in them. Also don’t know anything about spider/snake plants so I might be really mistaken

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It might be the photo but this tank looks too small to house a pair of Tinctorius.

Tinctorius have no use for bromeliads btw.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It’s an 18x18x24.
Ok, this is really, really the absolute minimum size for a pair so make sure everything is perfect for the tincs you are getting.

You might want to use some larger pieces of drift wood in the middle and the side of the tank so the frogs have more moveable area than just the bottom area and the small cork tubes.

Greets

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, this is really, really the absolute minimum size for a pair so make sure everything is perfect for the tincs you are getting.

You might want to use some larger pieces of drift wood in the middle and the side of the tank so the frogs have more moveable area than just the bottom area and the small cork tubes.

Greets
Hmm. I actually have 3 frogs showing up. But, my plan is to setup a seperate terrarium for the 3rd after they mature. I want to maximize my chance of getting a breedable pair.
At least that’s what the frog breeder I purchased them from suggested.
I was wondering about their ability to make it to the higher levels in the terrarium, but that went back to the accesibility question. Previous posters have suggested they should have no issues making it up to the higher ledges. I did initially plan it out with ledges with the intent of giving them more space.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hmm. I actually have 3 frogs showing up. But, my plan is to setup a seperate terrarium for the 3rd after they mature. I want to maximize my chance of getting a breedable pair.
At least that’s what the frog breeder I purchased them from suggested.
Ofc your chances of getting a pair (brother and sister I guess) out of 3 frogs is higher than getting a pair out of 2 frogs..

but you have to be aware that the tank is simply too small.
I always recommend everyone to keep Tinctorius in pairs in at least 50x50x50cm.
Tinctorius can easely reach 20+ years old in captivity and that's why I personaly prefer to keep them in larger tanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ofc your chances of getting a pair (brother and sister I guess) out of 3 frogs is higher than getting a pair out of 2 frogs..

but you have to be aware that the tank is simply too small.
I always recommend everyone to keep Tinctorius in pairs in at least 50x50x50cm.
Tinctorius can easely reach 20+ years old in captivity and that's why I personaly prefer to keep them in larger tanks
Well, I would’ve gladly bought a larger terrarium at the time. Your post is the first I’ve seen that suggested that. I had discussed it with my breeder, and they suggested this enclosure would be fine for 3 frogs and they suggested tincs. The qualifier had been that 2 females could be the issue.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well, I would’ve gladly bought a larger terrarium at the time. Your post is the first I’ve seen that suggested that. I had discussed it with my breeder, and they suggested this enclosure would be fine for 3 frogs and they suggested tincs. The qualifier had been that 2 females could be the issue.
It's just so small..
I personaly feel like you did not receive the best advice here.

Tinctorius are always best kept in pairs. Males are also very agressive.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your breeder always has a bit of an incentive to sell more frogs (after all that is their business), even if they are very focused on the darts' well-being. Just very very difficult to ignore $s (or €s).

Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller than 2 feet x 2 feet floor space for tincs, much less a trio. They tend to keep to the lower levels of the viv as well, making floor space so much more important. Climbing frogs (leucs, thumbs) however can work with a smaller footprint (18x18 for example) if you design efficiently and have the height.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah they will definitely not use those broms, they will be much to big. I would say they won’t use the top 15” at all so you gotta find ways to make that bottom area more interesting. They probably won’t use the vertical ghost wood (maybe angle it less). You can add wood and also you can make more climbing room by adding/subtracting soil making areas much higher and lower. A pair can probably survive in that space but they won’t be much fun to watch just walking on the ground (something I ran into with first frogs phyllobates bicolor). Ideally you would convert this to a horizontal if you’re set on tincs

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Whenever designing a vivarium for your frogs, I try to create as much functional, usable space as possible. There are several good threads on the subject here on dendroboard. When you improve your functional and usable space, a side effect that happens is that it improves accessibility to more of the tank for it's inhabitants. More of the tanks features get used more often.

Also by maximizing functional and usable space, you can have more confidence that tanks on the smaller minimum range for a given species/pair/trio will work out. It's not a guarantee, but it improves the odds it may work out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frogs showed up yesterday. They are making it up to the top ledges no problem. One is still hiding, but the other two are all over the terrarium.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts