Dendroboard banner

Frog age/ shipping questions

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cartier 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I posted some beginner questions a while back, and learned that the best age to get dart frogs is when they are juveniles. I have some questions about that.
I was also planning on getting leuc dart frogs from dart frog connection, even though I am in Chicago.

Is it okay to get tadpoles, to ship them, and are they easier/harder to care for? They cost less, and I am interested because their transformation will be fun to watch.

How old are dart frogs when they are classified as juveniles, and at what age can their gender be determined?

What ratio of male to female leucs are recommended, and how necessary is this rule? Just because if I get tadpoles/ juveniles, I probably will not be able to determine gender of the frogs. So, I might have to bend the ratio rule.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Another question:

How bad would it be to ship the frogs from dart frog connection to Chicago? I really like this website, and I want to order from them. However, I want to make sure the frogs are safe and healthy after shipping.

Thanks again!

#3 ·
Before you order any frogs, I would recommend attending a local reptile show or (safely) meeting with a local to get an idea of what to expect from your frogs. Sometimes there's a bit of a gap between what you read online and what things are like in person when you actually have the frogs. I believe there are at least a few big shows in Tinley Park and Wheaton every year.

Tadpoles can be a good way to get some frogs at lower prices and to watch them transform but there are some drawbacks to that. You can read a bit about that here and form your own opinion: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/138545-whats-shipping-tadpoles.html

As for shipping in general, you should have no problems with something being shipped from California to Chicago assuming that the seller takes the proper steps to regulate temperatures in the box and temperatures are not too low. Ship Your Reptiles recommends not shipping when temps are below 38. This may mean you have to wait a bit.

How old are dart frogs when they are classified as juveniles, and at what age can their gender be determined?
There is not really a hard and fast rule for this and it can vary from species to species. Generally juveniles are frogs that are out of their delicate froglet stage but still not fully grown. This can be anywhere from 3-10 months. Subadults are usually mostly to fully grown frogs that are not sexually mature yet. Adults are full grown and sexually mature.

Gender can sometimes be determined when the frogs are subadults based on sexual dimorphism.

What ratio of male to female leucs are recommended, and how necessary is this rule? Just because if I get tadpoles/ juveniles, I probably will not be able to determine gender of the frogs. So, I might have to bend the ratio rule.
I could be wrong but the only problems I have heard of with leucs is females eating each other's eggs. Otherwise they are generally regarded as a great group frog and I don't think you would have too many problems with having more of one sex than another.

#6 ·
Research is good. Can I help get you started? Let's see, this thread is actually titled, "Dart Frog Connection", so starting there would work. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/109537-dart-frog-connection.html
Here is another that pops up when I search for, "Dart Frog Connection". http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/115409-community-announcement.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/west/108081-san-diego-reptile-expo-dfc-vending.html
Hmm, I can't seem to find any with a more positive slant. Anybody have any others? I know that Taron Langover is their breeder. Perhaps if you did a google search for Taron Langover, you might turn up something more positive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.