Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my male RFB Basti's just out of QT, putting him in the tank today after a rough week of treating, then a week of feeding out. I thought I was going to lose both but after Chytrid/Batryl treatments both responded well and started feeding like pigs, will get a pic of the female in a couple of days when I drop her in the tank, I wanted to separate for a few days to enhance their feeding.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And for those wondering there were only 6, I got the last 2 which I think are a pair....I just hope whoever got the other 4 realize what they are.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Verified local specific RFB? It's like the holy grail of basti's coming to fruition! Pretty but they look like any other basti though :/.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verified local specific RFB? It's like the holy grail of basti's coming to fruition! Pretty but they look like any other basti though :/.
I have not seen an import Basti that looked like these for about 6 years, outside of ones I acquired in a trade, seeing lots of them in person one would appreciate the nuance of difference between these and the several hundred imported over the last several years.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one pictured has the same red color through the throat area with an all white belly, the hopeful female has an all white underside (with no dark throat spot). I will get pics of hopeful her tomorrow....honestly Ali I wish all Basti's did look like this. Real clean red/orange with white feet and bright white undersides, solid coloring on top....bold and beautiful, between those and Drago Colons, not sure which is my favorite.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Stunning frogs! Get those guys breeding;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I guess that was too much of a blanket statement. I'm just wondering what the difference is for instance between your verified guy and say this guy I kept a while back:

I also had another one that was much more similar to your male but I just can't find the pic.

Either way...if I were to keep a more "common" Oophaga it would with out a doubt be basti's. Their beautifully colored variabilty can only be rivaled by the Branco IMO. Hope they breed for you Mark. It would be nice to inject some verified RFB into the hobby. I'm sure a lot of vets are envious of your addition :).

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ali if a group of 10 came in like yours pictured with little variability it would be a good bet they were RFB. They did come in mixed with other locale's for at least a couple of years mostly during the initial Panama imports, sadly they have been excluded over the last 5 or 6 years. Great frogs, slightly smaller than Cemetary's and similar locale's but consistent with all red bodies (some would argue orange), small spots and bright white underbellies. A morph not truly appreciated until after the imports had stopped. I could pick out 15 or 20 in a 50 frog shipment around 2004 or 2005 and several of those were sent to ABG during this time. I hear they survive in the canopy on one of the rain forest rooms at ABG to this day.
I would also suggest I have not seen one like your picture imported in quite a while either, I did sell a pair or 2 up your way around 2008 or so, could those have been those frogs?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Your timeline is spot on. I acquired that guy through Chris Dulaney of the second iteration of Dart Frog Depot who acquired him when he bought the business. If I recall correctly he was indeed a 2004 import. That was before my start in the hobby so I'm not sure how many other like him came in. I guess you are right though, of the limited recent imports I've seen(you seem to have access to all the imports, especially the unique ones) none really are smaller, bright and fine spotted like your male.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Those look great! I'll be back in Red Frog Beach in a few months, and one of my goals is to check out the frogs in between the cemetery and rfb populations to see if there is intergrade or a clearly defined separation between the two. I could also try to measure the sizes of frogs in each population to see if one type is smaller on average than the other. If there's anything else you guys can think of (that's relatively simple) that I could do there to help shed some light on the differences between the two (and possibly which are in the hobby), please let me know! They are stunning for sure, and I'd be interested to see if the offspring keep the same pattern and coloring as the adults.
Bryan

Reactions: stu&shaz

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My red guy threw no to fine spots with each offspring he produced and a couple of his mates were for sure cemetery locals. This has no scientific justification but maybe the RFB are an intermediary between the smaller salt creeks and larger cemetery? Is this geographically possible?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My red guy threw no to fine spots with each offspring he produced and a couple of his mates were for sure cemetery locals. This has no scientific justification but maybe the RFB are an intermediary between the smaller salt creeks and larger cemetery? Is this geographically possible?
That kind of what these guys kinda sorta seem like to me..whatever they are:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/oophaga/132946-care-take-stab.html

Way smaller than than Cemetery...white bellies...not so many spots but a few.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
can you share your protocol for your treatment for the Chytrid/Batryl treatment--duration, method, etc. I can understand the implications for recommendations to others...but know what YOU do seems to be okay....especially in light of recent threads about the issue of compromised frogs...thanks if possible to share...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You beat me to it Judy! I was going to ask about his procedures as well:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts