Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of these little guys crawling on the broms in one of my vivs. Any thoughts about what they are? I'm afraid I know the answer :( but interested in others thoughts. TIA.

Bill

·
Registered
696 Posts
Slug would be my first impression too. Ah Pluck it! :lol:
Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I posted pics/questions on another type of worm I found in my viv I was told that they were Grindel worms (white, and thread-like). I'm tempted to say that those are some kind of slug/nematode.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The grindal worms in my tank look just like that when curled up and I assure you the ones in my tanks are NOT slugs. The white threadlike worms are whiteworms, not Grindal worms. I was one of the people to answer that thread also. Both are beneficial decomposers though. When it moves, if it stretches its body real thin, its a grindal worm. If it always looks short and fat, its probably a baby slug.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't really know what they are, they are very common in vivs here in Holland and nobody seems to know what they are. I do know they are not beneficial and they become a real pain in the ass as they reproduce. These little worms feed on fruitflies and other insects. They tend to come out of hiding at night and pray on your FF's. They leave sucked dry corpses on your plants and glass which in time will look like a graveyard of flies.
I usually collect them once or twice every week to control them but I can't get them out.

Good luck!

Remco

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Definitely looks like a baby slug, especially with all the mucus.

Luke

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is a proboscis worm. A soil living nemertean that will rid your tank of springtails and fruit flies. I have found no way to get rid of them besides sitting next to the tank at night and plucking them out one by one. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a thought place the frogs in a different tank and then put salt in there on the substrate and dont mist. It might dry them out, Just a thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,
any more news about these worms?
I have them crawling around an eating all the fruitflies and springtails... where does this worm originally come from? From our gardens or is it a tropical creature?
Greetz,
Filip

·
Registered
986 Posts
khoff said:
The grindal worms in my tank look just like that when curled up and I assure you the ones in my tanks are NOT slugs. The white threadlike worms are whiteworms, not Grindal worms. I was one of the people to answer that thread also. Both are beneficial decomposers though. When it moves, if it stretches its body real thin, its a grindal worm. If it always looks short and fat, its probably a baby slug.
It's definitely not a Grindal worm. I have cultured both Grindal worms and white worms, and Grindal worms are simply a warmer-growing species that are closely related to White worms. Grindal worms look just like white worms, but are slightly tan or gray in color, and produce better in 70 degree temps. White worms flourish between 50-60 degree temps.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't believe this thread was resurrected after all this time. Anyway, to put everyone's mind at ease, the critter in question in my original post was a slug...emphasis on WAS :twisted:

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks mate, this is really the info I was looking for! Keeping the tanks a little dryer helped to reduce but not te eradicate this pest!
Only 2 tanks are infected for the moment!
If they are really numerous, the frogs tend to get stressed so be carefull of this 'worms'!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts