Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If the parents cannot egg feed all those tads, is there a way to fake it and feed the tads something similar? For such a sought after frog, that really seems an incredible shame to let all those potential babies go. Why not add a bunch of upright film canisters all over for depostion, pull them, and try something if they are doomed anyway?

JBear

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used other pumilio to act as foster parents. Hoxever the trick in this situation is getting them away from the parents and not spooking them so badly they don't take care of the other tads. They are keeping the tads in pools on pothos leaves.
D
But yes foster parenting does work.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Congrats Daryl!
My BJ viv is dark in the back so hard to see eggs or tads in the broms, the male has stopped calling so I hope I will find juvies soon. :)

-Beth

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In one blue jean viv I found 3 different clutches of eggs total 21. I know they are not going to raise them all just impressed they laid that many.

And in another blue jean viv another male was transporting 3 tads around. looks like a good blue jean year.

Daryl
Congrats! Hope they are good parents for you!
If the parents cannot egg feed all those tads, is there a way to fake it and feed the tads something similar? For such a sought after frog, that really seems an incredible shame to let all those potential babies go. Why not add a bunch of upright film canisters all over for depostion, pull them, and try something if they are doomed anyway?

JBear
This would be an exercise in futility. Except for the foster parent method already mentioned, it really can't be done. It has been tried many times over the years.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have used other pumilio to act as foster parents. Hoxever the trick in this situation is getting them away from the parents and not spooking them so badly they don't take care of the other tads. They are keeping the tads in pools on pothos leaves.
D
But yes foster parenting does work.
Hey I was wondering if anyone could shed more light on foster parenting, and how they get it to work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts