Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a hike yesterday and spent some time snapping shots of rock oucroppings, cedar swamps, moss walls, etc. to get ideas for viv setups. As I was tromping toward the river, I noticed a very small group of plants huddled under a small fir tree. They looked very 'orchid like,' so I snapped a few shots. Did a little research...and I seemed to have found Goodyera oblongifolia.

Group shot

Up close

Withered spike (about 2 months too late for the show)

·
Registered
986 Posts
I thought Goodyera were considered jewel orchids along with Macodes, Anoectochilus, and Ludisia. Lady slipper orchids are usually Paphs and Phrags.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Homer and Melissa, I don't think GREASER was asking if my orchid was a 'lady slipper'...he was just asking if 'lady slippers' were orchids. I think it was just a general orchid question.

As for the common name, the most common one seems to be Rattlesnake plantain...but I'm not a big fan of common names.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Aneachtochilus, Ludisia, Macodes, Doecilium, and Goodyera are all loosely called jewel or painted leaf orchids. Hoosier orchids has done a lot of work with these. They have done some weird crosses between different genuses you wouldn't think would work. The orchid in the picture looks like a Goodyera. The U. S. native lady slipper orchids are Cypripedium. I have both Goodyera and Cypripedium orchids growing in my flower beds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts