Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m aware it’s not a poison dart frog but frogforum won’t let me register so here I am.

found this grey (grays?) treefrog this morning. Eastern US. It was just laying on the kitchen floor. No clue how it got there.

it’s currently in a makeshift QT tank witha shallow water dish and hide. It is listing to the side. Breathing and will move/struggle if handled but slumps back down otherwise.

anything I can do or is it on its way out. I’m so confused as to how it got in my house and why it is so ill.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is one of those situations where you're probably best letting nature do it's thing. It could be natural causes, it could also be from an insecticide that was used in the area, parasites, disease, and a whole host of other things.

If you were a vet with the right experience, you might be able to diagnose and bring him back from the brink, but beyond that, I think chances are slim here.

If you're going to hold onto him, I would rinse him thoroughly in room temperature RO water. You could also try soaking him in Pedialyte (search the forums, as I don't know the best practices/formations to use for this).

If he isn't alert within 24 hours, then euthanasia, or returning him to a nearby natural area might be best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one of those situations where you're probably best letting nature do it's thing. It could be natural causes, it could also be from an insecticide that was used in the area, parasites, disease, and a whole host of other things.

If you were a vet with the right experience, you might be able to diagnose and bring him back from the brink, but beyond that, I think chances are slim here.

If you're going to hold onto him, I would rinse him thoroughly in room temperature RO water. You could also try soaking him in Pedialyte (search the forums, as I don't know the best practices/formations to use for this).

If he isn't alert within 24 hours, then euthanasia, or returning him to a nearby natural area might be best.
Wood Branch Twig Trunk Art

so to update it is doing a bit better today. It wants to grip and climb. The problem is when it does move it wants to move only in uncontrolled almost drunken right circles. I’m addition it has head tilt in the same direction. I’m not sure if this is due to neurological issues or injury. Has anyone heard of this behavior?

it has yet to show interest infood (mealworms) but it is probably stressed.

·
Administrator
6,720 Posts
It is unlikely to eat mealworms, I'd expect.

Personally, I'd euthanize it. Since frogs likely feel pain, and possibly register general distress, but are very unlikely to have a complex vision of the future that it deserves to realize, euthanasia is warranted.

Reactions: fishingguy12345
1 - 5 of 5 Posts