Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, if you've seen my other thread, you can read on what i've started. But here's what's happening. I plan on having this particular tank for a pair of luecs.
I might be getting a few cans of great stuff and silicone at Ace today (They have 24oz cans of GS, and I will buy either clear GE l or black GE ll). I will first spray the roots and after that's dried I will spray the back. This tank will not have any water features and i'm aiming for the most natural look possible. My lighting is 1x T5 18 watt 6700k bulb.
This is my 10g (1 of 3) and the airline tubing is for the buttress tree root design. I've decided the FB is eggcrate/weedblocker

Closer look at the buttress tree root design, I will add more because I want the roots throughout the whole vivarium.

Here's my misting. I know it's not mistking or monsoon, but it creates more of a rainfall effect.

Closer look at misting nozzle

My plants will be cuttings from my Dumpy tree frog vivarium I build a few years ago. Not sure exactly what i'll put in, but maybe some red wandering jew, pilea, pothos, bromeliads (Midget) and a few others for sure.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
My plants will be cuttings from my Dumpy tree frog vivarium I build a few years ago. Not sure exactly what i'll put in, but maybe some red wandering jew, pilea, pothos, bromeliads (Midget) and a few others for sure.

You do realize that using cuttings from an enclosure that has frogs in it is an excellent way to pass pathogens, parasites and other unwanted things from cage to cage? This is a bigger risk when dealing with animals that come from very different regions...

Ed

Reactions: Dew

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do realize that using cuttings from an enclosure that has frogs in it is an excellent way to pass pathogens, parasites and other unwanted things from cage to cage? This is a bigger risk when dealing with animals that come from very different regions...

Ed
Thanks! Never thought of that. I really appreciate it. I guess now i'll have to buy new plants then. No biggy though.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for posting so much guys :p but I got the GS on, i'll post pictures of it tomorrow. Gonna have to do some carving of the roots. I think it's very convincing. I didn't add any pots in the background because i'll be planting vines in the substrate and bromeliads will just be stuck to the background. I can't wait to put my peat moss/silicone on. After thinking hard at the hardware store and being asked several times "Can I help you find something" I decided on using black GE II silicone. I hope I don't regret it. The tank i'm currently using has a sliding screen top, I will silicone a slab of glass to the screen so it's a sliding glass top.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys. Tomorrow I might start sanding the roots so they look more natural, but I don't want to take the whole thing out. Do you think carving inside the tank will be ok? My experiance carvingf great stuff, it's like styrofoam and stuff gets everywhere. I thought it might be ok because it's going to get covered any ways but just curious. I really appreciate you guys looking at my build and giving input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys. Tomorrow I might start sanding the roots so they look more natural, but I don't want to take the whole thing out. Do you think carving inside the tank will be ok? My experiance carvingf great stuff, it's like styrofoam and stuff gets everywhere. I thought it might be ok because it's going to get covered any ways but just curious. I really appreciate you guys looking at my build and giving input.
I think that if you stuck the end of a hand vacuum cleaners tube in there and turn it on while you carve it will just suck it all up as you carve.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I carved my gs background, then just sucked it out with the vacuum when I was done. Either way should work great!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Vacuums are the way to go...the first time I carved a gs background I didn't have my shopvac handy so I brushed everything to the bottom with a paintbrush, then put water in, then used a fish net to scoop up all the gs (it floats). Vacuum=easy, floating and netting=waaaaay too much work.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok that sounds like the thing to do. Use a vacuum. I'm sure I have a few of those laying around, lol. Sorry guys still no pictures yet, i'll post them soon. I'm still doing touch ups with foam. And one thing with the foam, I didn't use great stuff. I forgot the name as I threw the can out, but it doesn't have that awful (IMO) skin GS has, but it's a rigid foam. I think it was made by GE, but i'm not sure. i'll try and dig it up outta the trash.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great stuff

These pics serve no justice for the depth perception and thickness/height of the buttress tree roots. As you can obviously see it needs sanding but it's good.
Great stuff background, still waiting for it to 100% cure for carving, then silicone/peat

Shot at 2011-08-05

Shot at 2011-08-05

Shot at 2011-08-05

Shot at 2011-08-05

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The mildew resistant note for the silicone doesnt sit with me to well. Might want to check the msds sheets online to be on the safe side.

Also, those trailing ground roots should probably be made higher. Once you carve them down and add your substrate/leaf litter, they will no doubt be hidden.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mildew resistant note for the silicone doesnt sit with me to well. Might want to check the msds sheets online to be on the safe side.

Also, those trailing ground roots should probably be made higher. Once you carve them down and add your substrate/leaf litter, they will no doubt be hidden.
Thanks Grimm. I'll be sure to check, but I choose this because All they had was Bio seal GE ll and this, and this was cheaper. And also thanks for the heads up on the foam, good thing I have leftovers.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The silicone and peat moss is on guys! And oh my god this didn't come out as planned, but actually it's pretty nice! It kind of resembles a dried up river bed. Maybe if I can't get the darts I want I get get a pair of fire bellies and fill up the tank with water. It's a neat design.
FTS with incandescent 1 filter

Shot at 2011-08-05

FTS with Fluorescent filter

Shot at 2011-08-05

My screen sliding lid with glass silicone on

Shot at 2011-08-05

Left bottom of viv

Shot at 2011-08-05

Middle "pond" of viv

Shot at 2011-08-05

And last but not least, my favorite, a river that floes into a cave (IMHO)

Shot at 2011-08-05

I still need a tiny bit more touch up work, I sprayed the GS on in like 3 CM strips and it's REALLY hard to get into the gaps. Next is ABG and planting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not gonna lie, looks sick as hell! However I don't really understand how the water feature will work. Idk probably not thinking straight.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Just checked the MSDS and I don't get any of it lol! http://ace.infotrac.net/msdsimages/red devil inc/red devil 0817.pdf
Edit: After some research, the only thing I discovered harmful really was Silica (IMO). All the listed harmful ingredients are only harmful while curing.

Actually no not all harmful ingredients were listed. They are not required to list carcinogens if the carcinogen is less than 0.1%.... Read the MSDS closely... They also may not be required to list propretiary formulations such as the organotins.... If it is listed as having Bioseal it has organotins in it.

Ed

·
Registered
312 Posts
That looks really nice already!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts