Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a park local to me that has beautiful magnolia trees and they drop plenty of leaves.

I asked the park if they use any pesticides or chemicals on the plants. They told me no pesticides, but they use Neem, Hollytone, Milorganite, and horticultural oil on their hemlocks.

Would these be harmful to frogs? I would obviously thoroughly clean and boil them.

Also, do you think the park would care if I take some, or should I get permission?

Ricky

·
Administrator
5,433 Posts
Neem and horticultural oil are pesticides, FWIW. I lean heavily toward OMRI listed organic products in my vegetable and ornamental gardening, but I don't pretend that organic = non-toxic, or even less toxic in some cases.

If they're not spraying near the magnolias, I'd personally not worry about it. I'd try to ask permission unless it is obvious that doing so would be silly in some way. State parks in WI prohibit all collection.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neem and horticultural oil are pesticides, FWIW. I lean heavily toward OMRI listed organic products in my vegetable and ornamental gardening, but I don't pretend that organic = non-toxic, or even less toxic in some cases.

If they're not spraying near the magnolias, I'd personally not worry about it. I'd try to ask permission unless it is obvious that doing so would be silly in some way. State parks in WI prohibit all collection.
If I scrub and boil the leaves, would these pesticides remain?

You are correct. I think it would be best to ask for permission, and if they approve it I can follow up by asking if they spray around the magnolias.

Now to think of a way to ask this without sounding weird. I am not confident as they may use the leaves for compost.

Ricky

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
If you boil or heat them, Magnolia leaves lose their most prized property - the ability to be tough and withstand all the water, humidity and ect that we subject them to in the vivarium. We want them to last as long as possible.

that said, please think of me if you can collect a lot. I used to live in Gainesville FL and the leaf blowers would blow all the live oak and mag leaves across the parking lots and this had the added benefit of cleaning them from the frass ect.

I need @ 50 gallons of mag and the same or more of live oak a year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you boil or heat them, Magnolia leaves lose their most prized property - the ability to be tough and withstand all the water, humidity and ect that we subject them to in the vivarium. We want them to last as long as possible.
I bake mine and find they last just fine. I would not boil them though.

·
Administrator
5,433 Posts
If I scrub and boil the leaves, would these pesticides remain?
I don't know. For some synthetic pesticides (e.g. permethrin) I know it would not. Not sure about Neem or hort oil.

If I were depending on washing to remove pesicides from something I was going to put in a frog viv, though, I just wouldn't use that thing in a frog viv. But it sounds as if these leaves haven't been sprayed, so no worries.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bake mine and find they last just fine. I would not boil them though.
I tried baking my leaves but they got all crunchy so I thought I would avoid that. I will give try that again in the future.

that said, please think of me if you can collect a lot. I used to live in Gainesville FL and the leaf blowers would blow all the live oak and mag leaves across the parking lots and this had the added benefit of cleaning them from the frass ect.

I need @ 50 gallons of mag and the same or more of live oak a year.
Thanks for the heads up.

Holy smokes you must have a ton of frogs.

Ricky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts