Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the moss in the spot where I feed the frogs is dying. I assume from the additional powder I am adding to the Fruit Flies. Any other exeriencing the same or have come up with a remedy to fix the issue?

·
Registered
527 Posts
So the moss in the spot where I feed the frogs is dying. I assume from the additional powder I am adding to the Fruit Flies. Any other exeriencing the same or have come up with a remedy to fix the issue?
I believe it's the calcium supplement. What you can do is to feed on top of leaf litter instead.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The supplements are definitely moss killers. If you feed onto an area of leaf litter or feeding station you won't need to worry about it. I use jar lids with a piece of banana and just drop my dusted flies on top.

Melissa

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Moss looks great for a while then eventually U will come to appreciate the value of a complete leaf litter bottom....

Moss is for people.....leaf litter is for frogs :)

I know, I know....I wasnt a believer at first either....you should see some of my pics from '04 '05....beautiful moss if I may say so myself....

Long since abandoned it....

Best,

·
Registered
527 Posts
Moss looks great for a while then eventually U will come to appreciate the value of a complete leaf litter bottom....

Moss is for people.....leaf litter is for frogs :)

I know, I know....I wasnt a believer at first either....you should see some of my pics from '04 '05....beautiful moss if I may say so myself....

Long since abandoned it....

Best,
This is very true. My first viv also had a moss floor (yes, had, went dormant and eventually died because all the light was covered by the plants growing over), so now I use leaf litter and leave the moss to grow on the background instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i use a shallow plastic container as a feeding station (like the kind that holds cream cheese), that way when the flies begin shaking off the powder, the majority of it stays in the container. at the end of the day, i remove the container and wash it out, simple as that.

the container is also effective in keeping the flies concentrated and not having all the flies run around and hide in the tank. while they can climb the plastic sides, it seems that plastic is a slippery to them and they often lose their grip and fall right back into the container.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts