Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting into frogs again and was wondering what would be the BEST food for tads. and could I use fish food pellets?

also how do you make the tea and from experience what leaves and what ratio is best? can i pick up random oak leaves from my front yard?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't like pellets. The comparable flake is always higher quality. My primary Tad food is Ocean Nutrition Formula One flake. If you compare it to Formula One pellets, you can see that the ingredients on the flake contain more, and different types, of protein.
I supplement this with Cyclop Eeze freeze dried. CYCLOP-EEZE®: Product Info
I also use some powdered spirulina BUT a flake or pellet spirulina would lose less nutrition soaking in the water. I will be changing next time I mix.
Here are some threads.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/66675-favorite-productive-tadpole-food.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/71722-tadpole-food-recomendations.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/64488-tads-die-after-front-legs-pop.html

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to hear ocean nutrition is my choice fish food, got way more flake and tiny pellet than i could ever use in my fridge

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have some food for thought. I was curious if any of you have ever tried Elos Pellets.

I use them in my reef tanks due local reef shop that swears by that food.

They have showed me articles about the elos pellets. That they are very High in nutrition and do not have a large amount of phosphates in them and the fish tend to go crazy over them.

I was having problems with water quality in my tanks for months then I switched to the elos pellets and my fish seem healthier and my water quality issues have gone away.

Not sure if this is an issue in tad tanks or not but I was just curious because ive been contemplating feeding my tads when they arrive the elos to see

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have some food for thought. I was curious if any of you have ever tried Elos Pellets.

I use them in my reef tanks due local reef shop that swears by that food.

They have showed me articles about the elos pellets. That they are very High in nutrition and do not have a large amount of phosphates in them and the fish tend to go crazy over them.

I was having problems with water quality in my tanks for months then I switched to the elos pellets and my fish seem healthier and my water quality issues have gone away.

Not sure if this is an issue in tad tanks or not but I was just curious because ive been contemplating feeding my tads when they arrive the elos to see
I looked up their website to compare ingredients. They do not list any of the ingredients of any of their products. That would concern me. A good product should be proud of what goes into it and eager to show all the different proteins in it. They should be wanting to show that fillers are low on the list. It also strikes me as odd that they feel they have to resort to gimmicky wording. Extruded fish food? They can't just call it a pellet? All pellet foods are extruded. That just means they force it through a small opening to form a cylinder of food.
I looked around on line some and lot's of people say that their fish like it. That doesn't mean much though, as lot's of fish go nuts over brine shrimp, but the nutritional value of brine shrimp is extremely low unless it was gut loaded right before feeding.
My opinion is that I won't be trying it at least until they decide to release the ingredients list.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked up their website to compare ingredients. They do not list any of the ingredients of any of their products. That would concern me. A good product should be proud of what goes into it and eager to show all the different proteins in it. They should be wanting to show that fillers are low on the list. It also strikes me as odd that they feel they have to resort to gimmicky wording. Extruded fish food? They can't just call it a pellet? All pellet foods are extruded. That just means they force it through a small opening to form a cylinder of food.
I looked around on line some and lot's of people say that their fish like it. That doesn't mean much though, as lot's of fish go nuts over brine shrimp, but the nutritional value of brine shrimp is extremely low unless it was gut loaded right before feeding.
My opinion is that I won't be trying it at least until they decide to release the ingredients list.
agreed, I'll choose ON anytime for a staple, water quality has never been a problem.

how about tad tea? can i use oak leaves from the front yard? do they have to be long dried up? should i bake first? i haven't made tad tea before and struggle to find a direction =p

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
agreed, I'll choose ON anytime for a staple, water quality has never been a problem.

how about tad tea? can i use oak leaves from the front yard? do they have to be long dried up? should i bake first? i haven't made tad tea before and struggle to find a direction =p
Indian Almond leaves are said to be possibly the best. I use Red Oak leaves from my backyard (pesticide free) and have fine results with those. Any Oak should work fine. They should be dried up and brown. No need to bake as the boil will sterilize. When you are done, re-dry the leaves you used and toss them in a viv for leaf litter. Basically, you boil till you get the color of iced tea.
I like to brew it highly concentrated and then mix it to the color of iced tea as needed.
You can also just use one of the Blackwater extracts available at fish shops.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey pumilo they put the ingredient list on the side of the can I will look at it when I get home and shoot you a pm and let u know what all it says

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds good to me, i think i may have indian almond leaves in a bag somewhere =p thanks alot for the help

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey pumilo they put the ingredient list on the side of the can I will look at it when I get home and shoot you a pm and let u know what all it says

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Sounds good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts