Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a walgreen fogger. I hooked it up to my tank but have a few questions. What schedule should I use? I currently have it 4 times a day for 5 minutes. I kind of want to simulate a cloud forest by having it on more. Do you think anything could happen if I increase the amounts of 5 minute periods I have? I'm mainly worried about respiratory problems o water logging. It gets really dry here in this time of year and i'm having a hard time keeping humidity up and frequent misting has almost killed one of my bromeliads! Also, do you think that if a malfunction occurred the frogs got get harmed? thanks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Can you answer several questions before we start telling you stuff?

What Type of Tank?
Ventilation such as Open Screen or closed glass top?
Size of Tank?
Size of reservoir on the Fogger?
Substrate material?
Design?

All these factors effect How fast a Tank dries out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you answer several questions before we start telling you stuff?

What Type of Tank?
Ventilation such as Open Screen or closed glass top?
Size of Tank?
Size of reservoir on the Fogger?
Substrate material?
Design?

All these factors effect How fast a Tank dries out.
1: It's just a regular 29g tank

2: The top is 80% glass and 20% screen with a small internal fan that goes off every once and a while

3: 29g

4: The reservoir is about 1 quart

5: The substrate is my own blend
1 part aspen twigs
2 parts hydroton
3 parts aspen leaves, crushed and whole
3 parts peat moss
1 part sphagnum
4 parts cypress mulch

6: I have a 1/4 OD tube coming from the fogger into the tank. It just runs right onto the leaf litter. The fogger is on a timer. I would estimate it puts out 2 tsp of water/minute, or similar.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Even if the Timer fails and the Humidifier runs full force a quart of water is not gonna flood a tank.

Personal observation of the tank will be the true indicator. Watch the soil and see if it is drying out. Watch and see when there less condensation than usual on the Glass.

Air flow over the internet can not be judged

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think now I feel more assured to test it over the next week. With the air flow, the fan is very slow, maybe 500 RPM. I only use it if the tank doesn't look dry within an hour to lights off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts