Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe Bob Zarry has his fogger timed to go 5 min. every hour, with a good digital one from Home Depot.

I would like to know, how long do others here leave it on? How fast does the humidity drop off when its turned off?

·
Vendor
2,861 Posts
Well, I haven't tested in over a year. Michigan is a very humid state (land of the lakes). In the summer, since we don't have AC, I can get 80% with a screen top. All my tanks have glass lids so humidity is near 100%. I mist daily and use the humidifier just for looks.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How effective are the exoterra/ ESU foggers, if they are placed in tuberwares with soft water?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
They're the same as ultrasonic foggers you can get for fountains much cheaper on ebay. The problem is that water needs to circulate around it and depending on how long you run it and how big the tupperware container is, you might be filling it often. Remember that the water level has to be fairly close to the vibrating plate that makes the mist, but not too close. The better ones will have an automatic shutoff when the water level gets around 1/2" from the surface of the plate. In the pic below, you can see the little U shaped rubber covered bar that sticks up from the drum. That's the sensor for the automatic shutoff. Some of them have a circular post that sticks up instead.

Here are some guidelines I got online:

1. Use only the transformer and accessories supplied with the water fogger.
2. Do not touch the ceramic disc of water fogger while in operation.
3. Do not touch response switch of mist maker while remove misting unit from water in operation.
4. Always disconnect the power supply before moving or maintenance.
5. Do not allow power supply to get wet or gather moisture.
6. Do not allow the mist maker unit electrical plug connector to get wet.
7. Do not place a container, cup, cover or any other object over the mist maker unit that completely covers the mist maker. Water must be allowed to circulate around the unit for cooling.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Doug,

I would go to mainlandmart.com and get a Mist Maker from them and the float that goes with it. That way the fogger is always at the perfect opperating depth (ie you can then have a huge resivour). Thats what I have been using for a few years now and I love it.

Mine is in a 5 gallon bucket plumbed into the tank with 2" pool and spa line. And I use a 10" bathroom vent fan (with a rheostat) to push the fog up into the tank. Its on a timer and runs for 15 min 4 times a day.

If you want pics send me an e-mail and see what I can do.
Jay

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have PVC now, so I will be piping up foggers.

Do home depot buckets come with lids? Therefore, I can plumb them, but don't have to adjust the PVC pipe's height by putting it straight through the lid.

I can only go with a Walgreen's fogger for now for my room, but it's a great idea for my mantellas, tricolors, and Nepenthes as I can hook them all up to one in the basement.

I bought two digital, 7 day programable timers from Home Depot as it was 10 bucks cheaper than ordering from Herpsupplies.

I was going to buy a Python fogger, but they are $45 and do not work with distilled/ RO water. They float too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts