Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install a DIY humidifier fogger but soon learned there are three different forms of humidifiers and I'm not sure which to install. Warm mist, Cool mist, and ultrasonic ??? I purchased a small personal humidifier and ran all my tubing but the results were less than desirable. I believe it was an ultrasonic sold at the local Walgreen's. I'm looking for that thick robust mist, not a simple trickle of fog. The one I purchased simply falls down the background and disappears. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to get the full fogging action I'm looking for? What are the effects of the 3 different makes on a tank?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Keep in mind that a fogger is essentially useless. You put it in only for yourself, not your frogs. What your frogs would prefer is that you hook up with Marty at Mistking and buy them a quality misting system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went down and found a reasonably priced humidifier today, much larger than the portable one I bought at Walgreen's. With a little help from Lowe's and some creative thinking I made a really great fogger. I suppose that leaves me with two now, but since my tank isn't completely set up I decided to use the smaller one on my waterfall. Makes for a really nice effect. I still have quite a ways to go with the tank. Ive been working on it for almost a month now and its unlike any Ive seen yet. I realize the frogs wont have much use for the fogger and I'm still going to order a Mistking I'm just in it for the dramatization effect. This being my first tank I also decided to catch a few tree frogs and stick them in the tank for a few weeks after its complete. If they die I suppose I screwed something up.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
This is not set up for darts(it could certainly be modified), but it is a pretty cool approach from a DYI perspective. Plus I think the designer did a good job replicating a forest floor...

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
...This being my first tank I also decided to catch a few tree frogs and stick them in the tank for a few weeks after its complete. If they die I suppose I screwed something up.
This is a bad idea.... Use the plant's growth as an indicator of Viv stability/suitability. Take time to check temps at highs and lows of daily heat/cold. Make sure the viv is providing enough humidity... These are things that will far better answer your questions than whether some Treefrogs survive in it. The Treefrogs will leave behind parasites and pathogens, etc. This is not ideal when considering the lack of defense to pathogens from species to species, region to region, etc. Best of luck!

JBear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts