Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have used foam as the base for a substrate (think Great Stuff)... do you need to use a complete can at once or is it possible to use a bit... wait a day, then use a bit more?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Hard to say, I have not had luck using a can after the first try, they seem to go bad, or not seal the whole way after they are used a little bit. I have been using styrofoam to creat landscapes and then covering it with weldbond:water:eco earth. So far I have had good luck with this.

Scott said:
For those that have used foam as the base for a substrate (think Great Stuff)... do you need to use a complete can at once or is it possible to use a bit... wait a day, then use a bit more?

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
69 Posts
You should be able to reuse what is left in the can. Just let it dry at the tip of the spout, and when you need to use it again cut off an inch or two from the tip. It is recomended that you use the remaining foam within a week, but I have left is as long as a month with no problems.

·
Registered
487 Posts
No, he's correct. Its written on the foam to cut an inch off before each use, since it dries at the top of the spray tube.

M.N

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah ha - i misunderstood you were talking about the extension... rather than just the can.

obviously you don't want to cut an inch off the top of the can!

Thanks Will (and Moe).

s

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm in the process of building a new 55gal viv. I used GS for the background and a stream bed. I was able to use the GS for the background and then about a week later add the stream bed w/ no problems. As someone stated earlier you just have to cut off the end of the straw to remove the dried up stuff on the end.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I figured out a way to make a can last more than one day, I use a little aquarium air stone (the white ones that fit the small hoses) after spraying some gs, i fit (very snug) one of those onto the end, then when i want to start again, i cut off the air stone.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
kyle1745 said:
Hard to say, I have not had luck using a can after the first try, they seem to go bad, or not seal the whole way after they are used a little bit. I have been using styrofoam to creat landscapes and then covering it with weldbond:water:eco earth. So far I have had good luck with this.

Scott said:

Scott
Sanford, Maine
I'm deciding what to do for my viv. Do you have a picture of a finished vivarium using this method?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also stick a wire into the tube (after taking the tube off the can.) Then after the foam has dried, you can pull the wire out and reuse the application tube.

·
Registered
203 Posts
since my last post i have used the same can about once every day or two using a paper clip stuck down in the tube, just pull it out when you need it and take off the hunk of dried GS from the end of the tube and you're ready to go.... tzen's idea is basically what i did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts