Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask, to those who have done foam backgrounds, I just applied my second layer. The first layer that dried, it looked a little bubbly...like it was all rounded and all, did you guys have to carve through it or when you apply the coco dust on it, it will start looking natural? I wanted to ask how you did yours.

I had applied it to a 36" x 30" piece of glass and had to spend a lot on the driftwood and great stuff already and wouldn't want to redo the entire thing!

Thanks!

bluetip

·
Registered
714 Posts
hey-

i got worried on my first setup as well...20 setups later i can tell you with confidence that the bubbles are natural. allow more than a 24 hour period (I allow 48 hours) between application of each layer. after you add a good layer of silicon and co co mulch, the tank will look great. just remember give the foam and silicon time to cure.

-mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
Two of my tanks have great stuff backgrounds and i just love them. They do look kind of wierd untill you get the coco fiber on it. Don't wory though, it will end up looking great.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,

thanks guys for the support. It just seemed awkward without the cocobedding. It seemed like it was too unnatural. The foam looked too rounded and to "fake". I was afraid that with the cocobedding stuck on already, it may not look too good...thus wasting both the great stuff and the coco bedding and the silicon. Will try to post an image without the cocobedding first and share it with you.

thanks

bluetip

·
Registered
487 Posts
bluetip said:
Wow,

thanks guys for the support. It just seemed awkward without the cocobedding. It seemed like it was too unnatural. The foam looked too rounded and to "fake". I was afraid that with the cocobedding stuck on already, it may not look too good...thus wasting both the great stuff and the coco bedding and the silicon. Will try to post an image without the cocobedding first and share it with you.

thanks

bluetip
Weve all been there. It looks awkward at first, but it has a nice effect once the coco-husk is added.

M.N

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is the tank I'm working on now. My friend and I finished the background and I'm just waiting on the rest of the plants. If the image doesn't work the just refresh the page, it alternates which one it shows.

The pictures are HUGE so I have made links to them:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/thedartscave0/New29gal_001.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/thedartscave0/New29gal_007.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/thedartscave0/New29gal_008.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/thedartscave0/New29gal_0012.jpg

Cryptanthuis(sp?), fittonia, and an air plant:

A shot before the foaming:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Everett,

I tried viewing it to no avail.

Guys,

Another toughie for me...unfortunately, I live in the Philippines and I can not find Black silicon anywhere. I started using clear silicon instead to stick the coco bedding on to the background. Now...technically...I have 2 problems...

The coco bedding doesn't seem to be sticking too well...well, partly maybe because I had just applied it to the wet silicon about an hour ago...but as I am doing all of this...it seems that the coco bedding has the tendency to "chip". Are there any other alternatives to silicon? What about Liquid Nail?

Second, I was thinking of retouching the white areas with paint. What would you suggest? Do you think I can use marine epoxy?

thanks! really would appreciate the help!

Thanks

bluetip

G

·
hello,
when i did my last tank, i found that the coco fiber fell off easily while i was finishing pushing it into the background. You should at least give the silicone 24 hours to cure before seriously moving the tank so that the fiber in the silicone will dry in place. After the silicone has cured, dont be worried if some excess fiber falls off. i usually put more on the wet silicone then i need to becouse some of it will fall or "chip" off when the tank is moved. About the white areas, i would try to use small beads of the silicone on these areas and press some more fiber into them in order to cover the spaces. I have tried painting these blotches in the past and it just doesn't look as natural.
Hope this helps,
joe

G

·
To see the angelfire pictures above you need to copy and past the links into your browser.

Angelfire evaluates the header information. If the header information is not from an angelfire site it blocks the page. If you understood this then i probably did not need to tell you. 8)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I had no clue...thanks.

Update...the copy paste method does in fact work :lol:

Looks like a good start...any finished pictures?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Use Great Stuff and Silicon II. I think most silicons will work privided they fully cure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts