Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i read that to get rid of your mites on the flys all you do is dust the flys and the mites will drop off the flys. then all you do is throw away the dust.
has anyone read this or done this.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hi Walt,

As with many other things, it doesn't eliminate the mites but simply reduces the number helping to control them.

Ed

Reactions: pa.walt

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've heard of this same sort of thing being done on roaches to reduce the amount of mites present. Sounds like a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard of this same sort of thing being done on roaches to reduce the amount of mites present. Sounds like a pain in the rear.
actually i should of been more specfic. this process would be for starting a new culture from a mited culture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As Ed said even when starting cultures you will only reduce the number of mites. But you can use that to your advantage. I had a bad mite problem so I dusted and started a new cultures. With the temp of my fly room and the food I use I have production in about a week. As soon as the first flies are produced I dust and start a new culture and repeat for a total of maybe three times. Each time the new flies are dusted the mites are reduced. Once the their of fourth culture is producing the mites are at a manageable level then I return to my regular culturing schedule

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Brod322 explained it very well.

Ed

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason for resurecting this post is i got 3 different type fly cultures with mites. and i don't want to throw away 5 cultures.
brod322 that is what i was told. you have to go thru several cycles to get rid of the mite problem. it might of even been ed that that told me in person all those years ago.
again thanks for all the input on this.
walt

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
the reason for resurecting this post is i got 3 different type fly cultures with mites. and i don't want to throw away 5 cultures.
brod322 that is what i was told. you have to go thru several cycles to get rid of the mite problem. it might of even been ed that that told me in person all those years ago.
again thanks for all the input on this.
walt

Could be.. could be... the information has been around for a long time.. I think I got it from the old ADG newsletters.. or maybe frognet...

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts