Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this so i am not sure what i did wrong. I used a ff recipe i got off this site. i did a culture and had success. i recently tried to do a few more and when i seeded them within days all the flies were dead. Did i make it too dry? What went wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If you don't see evidence of mold, it was likely mites.

Cultures often come with mites in them, it seems it's becoming more common these days. If you see a bunch of very tiny white bugs inside when you look up close, this is what has happened.

If this isn't it, what sort of mix/recipe did you use, and how warm did you keep the culture?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Are these hydei or melanogaster flies?

The hydei only are able to reproduce when they have several generations of hatchings in the breeding cup---that involves using flies from different aged cultures. If this is not done, you will see this die-off without any production.

Also, I'd get your temps up to 80 if you can. This will increase production once you get it going.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've killed cultures by putting the flies in before the media cooled off :rolleyes:. I've also found that if you add yeast to warm media, it can produce enough CO2 and alcohol to kill the culture because the yeast grows too fast. What I do now is prepare the media, let it cool, add the yeast and then let it air out for an hour or so before putting the flies in.

Usually mite infestations don't kill the flies that quickly and you can see the mites.
I am new to this so i am not sure what i did wrong. I used a ff recipe i got off this site. i did a culture and had success. i recently tried to do a few more and when i seeded them within days all the flies were dead. Did i make it too dry? What went wrong? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
No mold. No mites. Mid 70's in room. Other cultures are living. Link is below to recipe.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/18630-fruit-fly-culturing-mini-howto.html
I've had really good success using applesauce and bananas instead of cane sugar, which is more likely to promote the growth of bad bacteria. I also use vinegar instead of methylparaben and I seem to have better success that way, too.
I have never had to use a miticide in nearly 3 years of using the same flies for culture since I rotate out old cultures away from newer ones and feed from newer cultures before opening old ones on the same day.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I tried banana once and after a few generations, the flies could fly! I assumed that there were eggs from wild flies on the banana, so I'd heat it up really well first.
I've had really good success using applesauce and bananas instead of cane sugar, which is more likely to promote the growth of bad bacteria. I also use vinegar instead of methylparaben and I seem to have better success that way, too.
I have never had to use a miticide in nearly 3 years of using the same flies for culture since I rotate out old cultures away from newer ones and feed from newer cultures before opening old ones on the same day.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I've killed cultures by putting the flies in before the media cooled off :rolleyes:. I've also found that if you add yeast to warm media, it can produce enough CO2 and alcohol to kill the culture because the yeast grows too fast. What I do now is prepare the media, let it cool, add the yeast and then let it air out for an hour or so before putting the flies in.

Usually mite infestations don't kill the flies that quickly and you can see the mites.
If the media is too warm you can also kill the culture by sterilizing the flies or from moisture condensation and trapping/drowing as it cools further.

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
whats the deal with mites all the sudden? knock on wood i havent seen any, but WTF?
It isn't a big upswing... All it takes is for a couple of people to not rotate out older cultures in time and then it looks like it is the mite apocalypse.

Ed

Reactions: JimO

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I don't know why exactly, but the thought of a mite apocalypse just made me laugh out loud.
It isn't a big upswing... All it takes is for a couple of people to not rotate out older cultures in time and then it looks like it is the mite apocalypse.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did add the yeast as it was still warm.....If i made it too dry would it kill 60 flys or so in two days? Should i throw them out?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Slightly mushy is good---not runny, but mushy, like greasy mashed potatoes. Pasty may be a better word.
Here's what I do---add yeast, allow to cool, then freeze them. When they thaw out, I pour out the extra water that has collected around the sides. This gives the culture optimum moisture levels. Then I tap the culture to be sure the media is well-settled to the bottom and add flies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts