Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to dart frogs, but have been keeping reptiles/amphibians for a while now. I have helped my brother setup an enclosure for some d. tinctorious and was curious as to how to best fly proof the enclosure. It's and exo-terra 18x12x12. Also is the layout acceptable? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
You can have glass cut to the fit the dimensions of the top s sections(ventilation screens). You could also use plexi glass, but this will warp in time and need frequent replacing. I prefer to use Saran Wrap and wedge it down and into place with styrofoam spacers. Then I tape down all edges and seal it in. There is a gap between the doors in the front that melos will escape through, but I never bothered to try and bridge that gap in any way. I would imagine you could use those plastic slotted dividers cut to fit and cover it that way.

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
With consideration toward the layout and planting, it seems a bit "busy", and will greatly limit open floor space. The plants chosen are good choices, but there are too many. This is just IMHO, at least for D. tinctorius. Also, it looks like the Broms are sunken into the substrate a bit too deep. This will cause the potential for rotting, and failure to root/thrive.

JBear

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try and mount your broms on the backround. It will encourage your tincs to climb and provide more ground space. Like jbherpin mentioned, your broms will rot in the substrate as well. It is a good idea to fruit-fly proof your tank, but that being said make sure your not overfeeding them to the point of a ton of flys crawling around the tank. One last suggestion: leaf litter. Your straight coco fiber will stick to the frogs skin and cause stress. Leaf litter is cheap and looks good too :). JP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts