Dendroboard banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
G

·
That is true, but then you have to consider those people getting X-Rays have to wear lead vests over their genitals and pregnant women can't get them. Also, frogs are much lower animals than humans, and mush less hardy. I am most interested to see how the tads/eggs turn out. I am sure they will all be fine though due to the minimal exposure.

· Registered
538 Posts
I say if all else fails there is always good ole smuggling. Many things have been smuggled, why not give frogs a shot. Just dont wear your turbin and leave your weapons of mass destruction in the car. This could be takin seriously or not, but if i had to do it i would.

· Registered
676 Posts
Arklier said:
Considering that tens of thousands of people get x-rays done every day with no ill effects, I don't think we have much to worry about.
I have to agree with Navaros, that this is not the best basis for making a decision, but I think you are right in that it might not pose a threat. Here are the numbers I could find:

Maximum yearly exposure for adult (whichever is less): 5 rem whole or 50 rems deep or committed dose
For children it is: 10% of that or .5 and 5 rems
For pregnant women: .5 rem over the course of the pregnancy

Here is the only reference I could find easily for the amount in airport machines .15 to .17 milirad (1 milirad can be converted to 1 milirem; I also found a reference that the scanners used by TSA max at 3 rem/hr, which would makes the .15 and .17 figures make sense for the duration of time the bag is under exposure). So, on the high end that is .00017 rem which is orders of magnitude lower than even the standard for pregnant women. Granted the frogs could still be juveniles and in general more sensitive to radiation, but it seems that these are still very small numbers. I think you are probably safe, but I'm no radiologist.

Best,

Marcos

References:
http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/genpub/topic ... -ccae.html
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-colle ... r/part020/
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q549.html
http://www.orau.gov/reacts/measure.htm
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q3142.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/airport ... html#xray5

· Registered
637 Posts
Well my husband was able to smuggle a RETF on Southwest airlines last week. Like someone stated before, the security people don't regulate for individual airlines, so all they care is that you don't have any weapons or banned items. To be on the safe side, the frog was packed in an empty (and washed) vitamin bottle and placed with his toothbrush and other bath stuff.

He was a little paranoid since he always gets to be one of the people pulled aside by the airline to be checked, but this time he wasn't. I love the time I was searched thoroughly when I was bringing my infant son home from the hospital. Here I am with car seat, stroller, diaper bag and a baby just out of the hospital and they searched everything and damaged my stroller running it through the scanner.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
This topic just reminded me of something I did before the tight airline security. I used to travel back and forth between california and utah to visit relatives, and my cousin had a love for turtles, as well as me, but she couldn't get anything good in cali. SO, I would sneak the turtles through the security gate in my pocket, lol. I wouldn't suggest it with frogs, but hey, if you wear baggy enough pants, you may be able to pull it off :wink: . Just use like a fish bag, fill it with a tiny bit of water, put the frog in, add some air, then walla, sneak it through, go to the bathroom, stick it in a deli cup, and in to your carry on. No guarantees it will work, but it is worth a shot :wink: Or you can stick it down you unmentionables incase they frisk ya, lol. Just one of those crazy ideas running through my mind, take no heed, :lol:

Ed Parker

· Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LOL. Frog in a bag! :lol:

Like I said before, many many breeders and hobbiest alike have travelled with their frogs in a carry-on with no problem. This the first time that I have travelled with them and certainly not the last.

G

·
I'm really glad this thread was started. In the future I want to visit Washington to see (and hopefully buy) some of those great frogs that are up there, but was wondering how I could get them back on the plane with me. seems as though it may be easier than I thought.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Rayo-Equis!!!

That is true, but then you have to consider those people getting X-Rays have to wear lead vests over their genitals and pregnant women can't get them
I work with x-rays all damn day long. We wear lead because we are exposed to it so much. I work with floroscopy (movie x-ray basically). If I were to stay 6 feet from that thing then no big deal, I could omit lead. But because I can't, I have to wear lead. An typical floro case is about 40 min of x-ray. Or the unprotected equivalent of 10 days in the sun. Do 5 cases a day, well it adds up. I'm sure the frogs are getting way less than that from airline stuff. Its pretty safe. But it is x-ray. There is some risk involved, but there is risk in everything. Yet it still doesn't concern me enough to not do it. I would not hesitate to put my beloved frogs through it.
Dave

· Registered
805 Posts
I was thinking like matella prince. Couldnt you just us a small delicup JUST FOR THE X-RAY put it in your big baggy pockets and go through. Then go to the tiny lavatory WITH your bag on the airplane and switch containers.

How fun would it be to be saerched. "Dont worry officer these are just my POISON DART frogs no worrys."

· Registered
792 Posts
Anecdote from yesterday.

I got some PDFs on when I was in providence on business. I flew Southwest from Providence to BWI without incident.

I did not ask/tell Southwest about them. I fully disclosed to TSA that I had them, and that I wanted a hand check of my bag. They were in a sweater box, which we took out, and the rest of the bag went through the machine. Everyone who worked there was fascinated by my "tree frogs" and other than calling me "frog man" for the 3 minutes I was there, there was no trouble.

My take: TSA doesn't care about frogs unless they explode, and the airlines who claim to care don't check baggage because that's TSA's job.

· Registered
424 Posts
I've flown back from AZ with a sidewinder in a tuperware in my pocket..nough said. I also suggest what everyone else has said.. good dense packing in a carry on, and no use of the word poison, or dart. these are just some tropical frogs.

· Registered
339 Posts
asydabass said:
I've flown back from AZ with a sidewinder in a tuperware in my pocket..nough said. I also suggest what everyone else has said.. good dense packing in a carry on, and no use of the word poison, or dart. these are just some tropical frogs.
now is it just me or does that just sound like a really bad idea?

· Registered
485 Posts
I traveled from Seattle (FrogFest) to Washington DC recently with about 12 small tupperware containers with PDFs in them. There is no requirement for me to declare them at Security and I didn't bother to do so. I was mostly focused on keeping their ambient temperature and humidity stable. No problems encountered at all.

Alan

· Registered
503 Posts
does anyone know united airlines rules on traveling with frogs?
I checked the rules and it doesnt say anything about it, so i assume it means its okay, but just wondering who else has tryed it.

G

·
I do not think should be any problems with that.

I have done it b4 here in Canada. if u go international yes then u in trouble but domestic flights should be ok if they are well pack.

G

·
I don't know if there are laws regarding this, but they could search for some wild auratus. That's what I'd do....every weekend. For other species...they'd probably do the same stuff for imports here.

G

·
[/quote]

I think the paying to ship FedEX, DHL, etc., is probably worth it. If you are planning on bringing the animals through anyway, you could encounter all sorts of bad situations if they aren't registered with the airline and you certainly don't want them getting run through the x-ray machine.

[/quote]

I wouldn't use DHL, I work for them

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.