Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting Washington state and coming back on March 1st. On the way back, I will be transporting PDFs. I am flying Southwest Airlines and I'm wondering if I am going to have a problem. As suggested, I am not going to carry anything metal in the carry-on bag to bring attention to the frogs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

TIA,

·
Registered
696 Posts
Set-up your own shipping. Call SW again and see if you can check them or see if there is a SW Cargo and see what they can come up with. If you box them up real well and can get them shipped on the the same flight you just pick them up at cargo. I've done this in the past with USAir. It's a pain but it worked well.
Mike

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, their policy might be an issue:

Southwest Airlines does not accept live animals in the aircraft cabin or cargo compartment other than fully trained service animals accompanying a person with a disability or being delivered to a person with a disability.
Unless you can convince them its a seeing-eye-frog :)

Air Tran who is probably one of their closest competitors has this policy:

We accept small, domesticated pets that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat. This would mean no larger than 10" high X 11" long X 20" wide. The weight of the pet plus carrier cannot exceed 15 pounds or roughly 7 kilos.

Airfare for a pet is $65 one-way.
I think the paying to ship FedEX, DHL, etc., is probably worth it. If you are planning on bringing the animals through anyway, you could encounter all sorts of bad situations if they aren't registered with the airline and you certainly don't want them getting run through the x-ray machine.

I wouldn't try to bring the animals through and skirt the rules as you could run into all sorts of fines, impounding of the animals, etc. Maybe, I'm just old and paranoid now. When I was younger and a little wild, I tried that through an international airport and got the animal all the way through but it had to go through the x-ray machine which ended up killing the animal months later from radiation sickness (I think). I still feel terrible about that 20 years later.

I'm guessing most other airlines also charge a fee to bring pets which would make shipping the most viable option or finding an airline that allows pets.

$0.02

Marcos

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
I've travelled on SWA a number of times - with frogs.

It's *never* easy - but you can do it. The key term you need to remember is "Don't ask, don't tell." ... and yes, we're still talking frogs here.

You pack them as well as you can in your carry on bag. Ideally you use something a little more stout than a deli cup (think of the disposable tupperware type stuff there is now). Pack them as you would to ship. Then line your bag with either your clothes or towels and pack the frogs in the middle of all this - as level as you can get them.

I bought a catering travel bag awhile back. It looks *just* like an overnight type bag - but it is insulated. That helps with temps and it also helps bc/ the insulation acts as padding.

I just send the bag through security wo/ saying a word. No problems at all.

Yet.

s

[edit: i just read marcos note - I've sent dozens (probably closer to 75) frogs through XRay machines with nary a problem. Lots of breeding from them also.]

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think they have turned down the amount of X-Rays in the machines since by one international reptile adventure several decades ago. I think a lot of the imaging done by the computers allows them to ratchet down the dosage.

Scott, let me know if you develop any Godzilla frogs :wink:

I'm probably just overly paranoid since my last job was in the personnel, industrial, and physical security field where I was paid to trust no one.

Marcos

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys!

I am going to follow Scott's advice and have my parents there for back up. If security spots the PDFs, I'll play dumb and say that I had no clue there was such a policy and very humbly pass off the frogs to my parents to ship that day! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
If you timed everytihing right, You could use a "hold at" an overnight carrier, ship it to the office nearest to the airport, then you could just pick them up on the way home.
I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
One other key point, well, maybe two.

The guys that do the security screening do not know the airlines rules/regulations (for the most part) - they just know the federal regulations. And federal regulations say nothing about carry on frogs. They are just looking for weapons/drugs and "dangerous" things. I know of plenty of examples where people "declared" their frogs at security. Have them searched (looked at). Then pack up and go to the gate - none the worse for wear. I believe Jutti Marsh normally does this.

I never do that. I always stealth carry.

If for some reason you get asked, by anyone at all, what type of frogs they are... they are harmless tropical frogs. They are not poison dart frogs. ;)

s

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that was easier than I thought...I guess security has more important things to be searching for! They did not even look my way. I followed Scott's advice and did not keep anything metal in my carry-on; just clothes, frogs and tadpoles. :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know if pdfs would be treated the same as turtles, but last year I took a small turtle in a deli dish on an airplane. I did not put it in my carry-on, I just walked through the metal detector holding it. I don't think anybody even realized what was in the dish. On the airplane, I just held it close to me the whole trip.

G

·
Do you think that will be a factor later on? I have heard some bad things about the possibilites of the radiation exposure.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scott said:
[edit: i just read marcos note - I've sent dozens (probably closer to 75) frogs through XRay machines with nary a problem. Lots of breeding from them also.]
Many of the most prominent Pacific NW breeders have done it without a problem many generations through.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.