Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have searched past threads, but they seem to focus only on flightless melanos, not wingless. My wingless melano cultures suddenly started throwing out flying ffs. Temps have stayed right around 70 and the cultures are in a closed cabinet in my room. The weird thing is that only a few of the flies are fliers, even though they are all the same age. Im guessing that everyone will say throw them out, but is there any other option? I set up vinegar and soap traps and they are catching pretty much all the errant flies, but will all my cultures in the future have fliers in them?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, i did not throw them out, i like a few flying in the viv. I figured mine was due to a period my ac went out and the flies spent a day or so at 77 degrees. they may also just eventually revert back to flying. is a wingless fruit fly natural to nature or do we do something enviromental to them to make the wings not develop?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I wouldn't make any cultures using fliers for sure. I'd even tease out the wingless ones and use those for the culture, which probably is no fun but if fliers breed with wingless you'll have fliers. Flying is the dominant trait, and any wingless fly who has bred with a flying fly can now produce flying offspring. It may take a while to "ground" your flies again if you let it continue. The pupae on the sides of your cup probably contain some flyers as well, so you may want to remove fliers as they hatch and before they mature (which is only a couple hours as I remember...so that may not be all that feasible unless you work from home...) Here's what Wikipedia says "Females become receptive to courting males at about 8–12 hours after emergence."

From what I've understood of the wingless strain, it's not a protein issue so heat won't "fix" the wings that aren't there. If only some are flying then I'd guess somehow 1 flying fruit fly snuck around and mated with some of your flies (the little scamp...). This first generation should be a few, but more and more in each subsequent generation.

If the other cultures don't have fliers in them, then I think you're okay. I'd only consider the ones with fliers to be contaminated by the dominant flight gene.

·
Registered
752 Posts
mine has not seemed to progress. when i dust flies for food, fliers get weighed down and dont get away. When making cultures most fly out since there is no dust, so by the time i get them to the culture cup most have flown away thus not making it to the breeding cup. I dont really mind fruit flies anymore so escapees don't bother me on the scale i am producing them, my cats might have other things to say since they congregate in their food dishes.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went ahead and got rid of the whole culture. I have 5 other cultures (flier free I hope) so I think I'll be alright. It was weird because only like 20% of the adults were fliers, but the culture has been going for a couple of weeks now. I was thinking that the fliers would totally take over in that amount of time. I was using the fliers to feed some of my smaller treefrogs, I would just put the whole culture in the fridge for like 15 mins to slow them down before I opened the top, but I got paranoid that the escapees would ruin my other cultures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts