Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a culture of molangasters from Eds Fly Meat about 2 months ago, I created a new culture from it (like i usually do without any problems). But this time when the flies reproduced they were able to fly. I have made other cultures before from the same product from Eds Fly Meat, and they work fine (and cannot fly).

The thing i did different is that i put some Hydei flys in the same cultuer, just as an experament. could this be the cause of the flys being able to fly? Im very confused.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes, you aren't suppose to mix types of flies for this exact reason. Funny since I just posted something about this in the food area, and wasn't too sure (as I have only heard of it never experienced it)... but looks like it is true. So, just don't mix flies and you should be fine.

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
Hydeii's and Melanogasters cannot interbreed.

I've done that many times without any problems. I believe Mike Shrom does this all the time also (he was the one that told me about it).

s

·
Registered
487 Posts
I believe if you mix different cultures (even of the same species) you'll interfere with the genes and they will fly. Im not positive on this though.

So to be on the safe side, only breed the ones of the same background.

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
Two different strains of melanogasters is asking for fliers. The genes mix and shazam... they're flying.

Melanogasters and Hydeii's are not from the same "complex" and can be mixed without getting fliers as they cannot interbreed.

s
Moe said:
I believe if you mix different cultures (even of the same species) you'll interfere with the genes and they will fly. Im not positive on this though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
flys

if you had a flyer in the group you tried to rebreed it taught the others to fly and once they teach theirself to fly then their offspricng will be fliers as well. it is passed on genetically i think someone else may be able to give youa better definition but this is what happened.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: flys

joshua_delancey69 said:
if you had a flyer in the group you tried to rebreed it taught the others to fly and once they teach theirself to fly then their offspricng will be fliers as well. it is passed on genetically i think someone else may be able to give youa better definition but this is what happened.
FF do not learn to fly just as humans do not learn to walk. It is developmental, and naturally happens over time. The fact that ff cannot fly is due to genetic engineering. The fact that you have fliers so soon after buying new cultures sounds like a contamination.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The worse i think are fungus nats! They laid eggs all around the little vent holes and the larvae chewed their way it( I think) and completely ruined my culture.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah...I've had problems like that too. Those aren't fungus nats though, fungus nats live in the substrate of terrariums and are an excellent source of food for dart frogs. I don't recall what the flies your talking about are, but they are the same kind that feeds off of dead crickets. Hopefully someone else can give you the name.

Best Regards,
Aaron Bloch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts