Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the influx of question but I'm a newbie :oops: Anyways I recently purchased a culture of flies from petco and they are labeled flightless. I think they were melanogaster. I've cultured flies in the past for some mantellas I had a few years back and never experienced any problems. The minute I opened this culture a whole bunch of flies flew out. When I say flew I mean flew and very well. Now I have them lose in my room :shock: Did these flies some how mutate while colonizing? I this common? Could it be a nonreputable company that produces these cultures?

Sorry guys after posting this I took a look around and found that there is a food forum. I also did a search and found a potential answer to my question. I should have thought of this first, I am not knew to this format of forums (arachnoboards.com is very similar) My mistake

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
troymcclure said:
Could it be a nonreputable company that produces these cultures?
Was there a safety seal? If not, is it possible someone in the store opened the container to check them out, and let some wild flies in? From what I have seen at the pet store chains in my area, every live food they carry is usually in poor shape, if it is alive at all!
Do yourself a favor, and order some high quality breeding stock from one of the companies that sponsor this board.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts