Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just received some FF cultures I ordered. Is anything else besides FF and their larvae/pupae bad? I have little juicy round white bugs in them... I was pretty sure this was a reputable supplier.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sounds like mites and yes it's bad. Contact them and give them a chance to make it right.
Thanks for doing this the right way and not dragging them through the mud before giving them a chance to fix the problem.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
as to how bad it is, it depends on how old the cultures you have are... Mites are going to be in virtually all cultures in the hobby and can come from the media as well as other sources so the real task is managing them as opposed to trying to eliminate them.

You can collect flies from those cultures into a clean collection cup with some enough ultrafine calcium carbonate to coat the flies. Carefully tap the flies from the top of the pile into the new cultures and place them far from your purchased cultures. This should really cut down on the transfer of mites allowing the cultures to take off. If you make new cultures every 21-24 days you can get your cultures established.. just make sure that you don't keep any cultures more than 30 days old anywhere near your newer cultures as mites will migrate to the newer cultures.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I guess I'll rehab my FFs. The timing makes sense... Its only the hydei cultures that have them. The melanogasterI appear to be mite-free, but I'll treat them, too. I guess I'll be looking for ultrafine calcium carbonate tomorrow... Any hints? Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
If they are white mites, that sounds like grain mites. I really have not had them impact the production in the culture, unless there are TONS of them. Frogs like to eat them, too.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You can collect flies from those cultures into a clean collection cup with some enough ultrafine calcium carbonate to coat the flies.
Would Repashy Ca Plus do the job, or is pure calcium carbonate better?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had these in all my cultures from a well known vendor. These aren't harmful and while I freaked out at first, I've never had them crash a culture and in fact, these cultures from the well known vendor last a long time. Also, I'm not seeing them in the cultures I make so I doubt they're bad. I keep them away just to be safe. Ordered the cultures to make up for a week skipped on making cultures when my son was born a couple weeks back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would Repashy Ca Plus do the job, or is pure calcium carbonate better?
I think you want straight calcium carb as anything else vitamin-wise may lead to mold in the new culture. That said I've been using Fluker's calcium w/D3 when making cultures and have had no issues so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As it turns out, I have a container of rep-cal CaCO3 with vitamin D3 that's less than 2 years old... Will this suffice for mite prevention in new cultures? It's back from some tree frogs I used to have before I moved.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
So I guess I'll rehab my FFs. The timing makes sense... Its only the hydei cultures that have them. The melanogasterI appear to be mite-free, but I'll treat them, too. I guess I'll be looking for ultrafine calcium carbonate tomorrow... Any hints? Thanks for the help so far.
Hydei means you're going to have to wait longer for the new cultures as thier life cycle is closer to that of the mites.. around 30 days. In this case it is better to keep older cultures away from newer cultures as this prevents you from missing a culture and having a massive mite outbreak (one where you can see little white specks crawling on everything withing a couple of feet of the cultures) and crashing the culture(s).

Any ultrafine calcium powder can be used, it does not prevent mites from being in the cultures, it has just been reported to reduce the number that may get transfered when new cultures are made.

I can't speak to any other supplements but since I keep Rep-cal on hand, I use it when I'm worried about mites.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts