Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use fluval stratum and can help me out with a question? I want to use it on my tank, but I'm worried that the grain size might be small enough to fit through the holes on my screen covering the false bottom. The screen I'm using is pet-safe sliding door screen, so the holes are the same size as regular window screening. So, will the screen keep it out of the false bottom do you think?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I just don't want to have to use weed blocker because I don't want to buy any more stuff for this to work. haha If it won't work with the screen I have, I'll probably just use black gravel or something, but that won't look nearly as nice, so I don't know.

I read that the "plant substrate" type has larger granules than the "shrimp substrate" type. I wonder if that would make a difference...

·
Registered
957 Posts
yes, I believe the plant substrate has multiple grain sizes. We have it at the aquarium shop I work at and now I think about it I have never paid much attention to it as far as grain size between the two. You could try doubling up on the screen which may help break up the screen size...iv tried it once, it worked better then nothing. The stratum looks really clean though, with your buttress root i think it would look awesome so try and make it happen. If you want to wait id even be willing to mail you some weed block I have a huge role.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, I believe the plant substrate has multiple grain sizes. We have it at the aquarium shop I work at and now I think about it I have never paid much attention to it as far as grain size between the two. You could try doubling up on the screen which may help break up the screen size...iv tried it once, it worked better then nothing. The stratum looks really clean though, with your buttress root i think it would look awesome so try and make it happen. If you want to wait id even be willing to mail you some weed block I have a huge role.
Ohhh, that would be so great of you! I'll PM you. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts