Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a ranitomeya vanzolinii tadpole in this brom, now a flower has appeared. To make room for the tad, should I cut the flower out or just top up on the water. Has anybody come across this situation before.
Plant Water Botany Leaf Flower

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yea, it happens occasionally. The best deposit area is always the centre of the brom, so they often get placed there. When it flowers, that can be a pain.

You can usually leave it, as it will still retain water typically. Top it up occasionally if needed. If you are concerned, you can remove the tad and raise it outside the tank. Moving it to another water source in the tank is 50/50 whether the male will find it and care for it again (at least in my experience).

·
Administrator
5,467 Posts
If you are concerned, you can remove the tad and raise it outside the tank
I've read that tads may not accept artificial diets after having been fed eggs. My very limited experience with this (N=2, I recall) confirms this claim. Do you have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've read that tads may not accept artificial diets after having been fed eggs. My very limited experience with this (N=2, I recall) confirms this claim. Do you have any experience with this?
Yes, I have pulled imitator tadpoles after they had been egg fed by the parents, and have had no issues with them accepting foods and morphing out normally.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out the flowers. I had to do that once for a pumilio tad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, phone didn't notify me. I used long tweezers then pulled the petals, part of the stem off. Couldn't get all of it, as the tad took cover down the bottom. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts