Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am in the process of building the exoterra xl x-tall tank. its dimensions are 36x18x36. i have included a picture of the false bottom i am using and was wondering what suggestions you have for forest floor plants. i will probably only use about 2 or 3 inches of substrate + leaf litter and i am guessing it may get pretty moist down there due to the falsebottom and water splashing from my water feature. anyway there will be two water features to the left so anything planted on the left floor will have to be tolerate of wetter conditions. just looking to hear some plants you think will do good here so i can research and see which ones i like best/will do best. also keep in mind i will have the background up with alot of wood/plants mounted into the wall so the floor wont have as much sunlight as you see here.
thanks,
sean

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
selaginella species are probably one of the most common foreground plants for vivs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
riccia, java moss, etc would do well in a wetter area of the viv. They would require the area be void of leaf litter right there though, which may not be what you want, however they would benefit even from the splash over from the water feature.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
riccia, java moss, etc would do well in a wetter area of the viv. They would require the area be void of leaf litter right there though, which may not be what you want, however they would benefit even from the splash over from the water feature.
yea i was planning on putting some mosses in random moist spots on the ground but i was looking for something that would kind of grow alittle tall to fill up the middle of my tank. i was thinkin of some sort of fern beccause i like the way they look, something like a Ostrich Plume Fern, or atleast something that looks similar, but i am unsure if my tank is even big enough to house it. i really am not good with plants:confused: but besides that i was planning on taking my wondering jew cuttings out of my other viv and maybe getting some creeping fig n putting some at the back base of my background so hopefully they will climb up the back wall. i got a pretty good idea of what i want to put up in the background pots and on my wood and stuff, but i am sort of clueless on what to put on the ground.

also after testing my water feature i noticed that my weedblocker that put over the eggcrate doesnt really drain as well as i wanted it to. could i solve this by just using a pin to prick some holes in it? i figured a pin would work best to keep the holes small so substrate cant fall through.

·
Registered
725 Posts
you probably don't want to take plant cuttings out of one viv and put them in another. Its a good way to spread diseases and other pathogens. My favorite fern is the korean rock fern. Mine has done great in my 20 gallon and hasn't gotten huge yet. I've heard ET ferns are really nice too.

Is your water feature draining directly through the weed blocker? i can imagine how that might not work the best.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Well, I really do not mind moving cuttings from one healthy tank to another; after all, we do buy aquatic plants from tanks with fish. I just rinse thoroughly, but I also have a prop tank with some "stock" plants.

As for your floor:

I assume that the tank is 18" tall and the floor is moist, no? If so:

--Java moss
--and/or riccia

A bit higher up, try

--a cutting of Episcia 'Silver Skies' (stays small)
OR
--Pellionia pulchra
OR
--Fittonia arg? (I can't spell it) 'mini', the smallish one with the white-veined leaves
OR
--Syngonium rayi

If the floor area is really moist and humid, try some short Cryptocoryne species.

Bear in mind, while many selaginellas like high humidity, some don't like saturated substrates.

Also, some people try Lysimachia and/or Hydrocotyle. These grow--and will take over your tank...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you probably don't want to take plant cuttings out of one viv and put them in another. Its a good way to spread diseases and other pathogens. My favorite fern is the korean rock fern. Mine has done great in my 20 gallon and hasn't gotten huge yet. I've heard ET ferns are really nice too.

Is your water feature draining directly through the weed blocker? i can imagine how that might not work the best.
no its not. it pours into a small stream. but some water may splash on the weedblocker makin it moist

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I really do not mind moving cuttings from one healthy tank to another; after all, we do buy aquatic plants from tanks with fish. I just rinse thoroughly, but I also have a prop tank with some "stock" plants.

As for your floor:

I assume that the tank is 18" tall and the floor is moist, no? If so:

--Java moss
--and/or riccia

A bit higher up, try

--a cutting of Episcia 'Silver Skies' (stays small)
OR
--Pellionia pulchra
OR
--Fittonia arg? (I can't spell it) 'mini', the smallish one with the white-veined leaves
OR
--Syngonium rayi

If the floor area is really moist and humid, try some short Cryptocoryne species.

Bear in mind, while many selaginellas like high humidity, some don't like saturated substrates.

Also, some people try Lysimachia and/or Hydrocotyle. These grow--and will take over your tank...

Hope this helps.
its 36 inches tall so i can fit something pretty big in there. thanks for the info tho ill check out those plants

1 - 9 of 9 Posts