Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next viv I'm building will have a somewhat large water area, with water maybe 3"-4". I was thinking about having some kind of floating water plants in it, and was wondering what kinds people had used successfully? The water area is probably going to be probably around 8 inches in diameter, so the plant(s) would have to be fairly small.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like Salvinia. But, the "moss like stuff" (Azolla) Ryan was offering up a few days back would do well with appropriate light. The biggest thing with Salvinia is it can grow like mad. I have about a 4 inch square area of it in one of my vivs and have to pull out a handful a week. It does look good though.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Duckweed also grows good in my tanks, along with azolla, and the azolla is growing good terestrialy to.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I remembered that my mom has a barrel pond with some topwater stuff in it. It looks like Azolla, it's brown, but you can see some green underneath. So I took a scoop of it. However, in the container I could see wormy things that looked like aquatic nematodes, and snails about 1/8th of an inch long. I think I managed to get all the wormy things out, but will the snails harm my viv plants? What's the best way to get rid of them?

G

·
I have kept water lettuce in turtle tanks and with an iguana...this was a long time ago so I don't remember the lighting I used but I remember them growing and producing pups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts