Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tadpole thats floating, he swims down to the bottom every so often but then floats back up to the top. I've heard of some sort of gas-bubble disease? is there any way to treat this? I've also found another tad pole that llooked to be covered in some sort of goo?? I'm think a fungus?

I'm keeping them in distilled water + java moss + almond leaves. Should I use oak leaves instead? or ?? I've got methylene blue water that I've been keeping the eggs in, should I add this to the tad pole water too?

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Floating tad pole

Firstly, I wouldn't raise tads in distilled water, but instead aged tap water with a little blackwater extract.
Maybe the gassing is to do with the diet. I see this problem when I feed algae such as chlorella and spirulina, so I tend to alternate the food source to give fish food as well. I also add a little multi-vit powder each time they are fed. This tends to sort out the gassing problem.
MD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, I wouldn't raise tads in distilled water, but instead aged tap water with a little blackwater extract.
Whats the advantage to this? With the suriname almond leaves added to the distilled water it releases enough tannins to discolor the water, so I really don't think the distilled nature of the water is a problem. And I've only been feedin the tads tetramin-flake fish food.

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Distilled water contains virtually nothing in terms of minerals, whereas tap water will contain some minerals like calcium, which is essential for tad development.
Sure, tannins will be released into the water with what your'e doing, and this may be fine, but the original gassing problem may have something to do with fermentation of undigested food, or maybe simply the tadpole is gulping air when it surfaces.
I noticed this morning that one of my 4 day old leuc tads had a bubble inside it which caused it to float, but now it seems to have rectified itself.
Best wishes
MD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts