Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just notice that the film canisters I had set up for my pair of vents has drowned flies in them, does that mean that I'm feeding too much? even though I have never seen them eat, they must be eating right? I've just had them for a few days only. so I'm a little worried that they are not hunting. how much should I feed? my other darts go after the melanos as soon as they see me drop them in. do I need to remove the drown flies in the canisters? so it doesn't disturb their possible breeding ritual.

sorry for the so many questions but this my first time with these little guys

Thanks
Dave :confused:

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've got a room full of thumbnails and I rarely see them eat. That's the nature of the beast, don't fret it. I simply feed every 2 to 4 days. If I can still spot 5 or 10 frogs, I know that there are a lot more than that and I wait another day or two. Once I can only spot one or two, even if I blow into the viv to disturb them, it's feeding time.
Vents lay their eggs submerged and many will refuse to lay without clean, fresh water. My Iquitos demand fresh water!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think he means if he can spot 5 or 10 flies. ;)
I know I over feed, I can always see flies hanging around.

My vents were my first frog and they seem to drop eggs anywhere there is water, their first couple batches of eggs molded over and they have dropped eggs right on top of those (which have since become tadpoles and the frogs relocated them) I was concerned at first about the dirty water just like you are but didn't want to disturb the eggs/tads. I guess I just decided to let nature take its course.

·
Registered
781 Posts
A better indicator that you are overfeeding would be if you see a significant number of flies in the enclosure when you go to feed the next time. If there are still feeders in the tank you can probably wait til the next day to feed at least.

As far as whether dead flies in the cans will affect breeding: IME some thumbs don't seem to mind heavy detritus in their cups (like my orange lamasi) while some frogs won't lay in cups that are too dirty (like my Iquitos vents). You'll just have to wait and see. If it just a few flies per cup I wouldn't sweat it.

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, you really put my mind at ease. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts