Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I recently bought new frogs the tanks that they came home in brought along some flying fruit flies. They have managed to get all over my house now, which is just plain annoying. I was just curious if the fliers could infest my flightless cultures? My boyfriend said that he thinks that they can reach eachother through the mesh on the lids of the culture cups. Anyone ever had any experiences with such a thing happening?

-Shelley

·
Registered
850 Posts
They can't reach each other through the mesh but all it takes is one flier in a culture to ruin it. I have had fliers enter my cultures when I open them to feed. They are annoying. What I do is I always make new cultures from the first explosion of flies from the other cultures. This helps make sure they aren't carrying along any unwelcome friends. Only advice I have is if you do get a few cultures with fliers in them, just open up the cultures in the frog tanks and let them go nuts on em.

Kevin Hoff

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Are you using the mesh from eds, because I found that fliers can breed with the flightless flies in the cup. Thats why I use coffe filters for the lids.

·
Registered
53 Posts
for about a month or so during summer last year i had a problem with fliers. they just some into the houseand make their way into the culture when i have it open i guess. I have already seen some fliers betwen the lid and the mesh of my cultures. I quickly smash and kill them. So far no fliers even though i have seen some flyng around my room.

When i had them last year, i would take the cultures out side open them and let all the fliers out before i made new cultures. Which when i did that i didnt have a culture full of fliers. I think all my fliers got in when i was feeding cause i couldnt have fliers till a week or so after i started using a culture.

aj

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I used to use cloth on my lids for containers. Fliers could lay eggs on the outside of the cloth. I switched to the containers from superior enterprise. Unless the mix is real soupy and their lid is compromised by moisture and larvae the fliers don't seem to be able to infiltrate. I still keep a watch for fliers when I'm setting up cultures. I set traps for flies by putting a little soap, water, and vinegar in cups. The flies are atracted to the vinegar and drown. I set a lot of these traps up when I was setting up cultures with a broken thumb.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rc_racer_007 said:
not to highjack this thread, but which containers do you all use from superior enterprise? these:
http://superiorenterprise.com/catalog/p ... cts_id=134

im really not wanting to spend that much on cups, but i can. do they not have them in smaller numbers? i got 50 cups from eds fly meat and they have lasted me nearly a year, 240 would be over kill.

aj
I just got my shipment of these cups and all I can say is that it was soooooooo nice to just make new cultures and not have to clean the old cups. Not to mention I didn't have to mess with the cloth for each cup. I also like superiors cups much more than Ed's. Once the Ed's cups get full of larva on the sides it seems harder to get the flys to come out of the cup. You can tap and tap but they seem to stick to the sides of the cup more than they do with superior's. Maybe I am just a weirdo, don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not.

Also, my cultures seem to be fine. I have noticed the fliers laying eggs on the outside of the cloth on some, but I haven't seem fliers in the cups. The one thing that I do like about the cloth is that when it is covered in larva I just take that piece of cloth and put it in my tanks for the frogs to feast on and replace the cup with a new piece. I will miss the ease of doing that.

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not sure I'd recommend using coffee filters--my experience is that the fly maggots climb up, wet the paper and eventually disengrate it.
I use sheer fabric material picked up from the fabric store in the remnant bin. Its usually marked half or greater off and what do I care if its some gaudy color?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts