Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe! I'm going to have somuch fun with it. Frogparty, which do you think: LED spotlight in a dome lamp or good ol' T5's? I'm sorta leaning to LEDs but have yet to try them out. The hex is a display so it has to look awesome. :cool:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

I apologise if not commenting sooner _ frogparty _ snakepaprazzi, for your experiences on LED lights.

I figure I'm going to build from the ground up this time which means after the drainage is in place, I can hopefully get a much more concete idea of the wattage of lamps I need in conjunction with the species of orchids I choose.

Wow, that was a lot of fancy words above! xD

Because I'm working with only 20" across, I'm actually toying going Metal Halide and with at least a fan inside. Mounting should be a prob but my question is what do we think of this product by Sun Systems.

Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture
Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture | Sunlight Supply, Inc. - Indoor Gardening Supplies, Grow Lights, Hydroponics, and Lighting

Thank you kindly,
Jessica

·
Registered
797 Posts
MH's put out some heat! I'm not sure how much the 150w ballast weighs, but the 400w fixture with internal ballast I had was pretty hefty (this was 5+ years ago, so maybe...20lbs?). Might be overkill for that viv as well, haha. If you've got ~$90 to spend on lighting I don't think you could go wrong with LED's.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hi Guys,

I apologise if not commenting sooner _ frogparty _ snakepaprazzi, for your experiences on LED lights.

I figure I'm going to build from the ground up this time which means after the drainage is in place, I can hopefully get a much more concete idea of the wattage of lamps I need in conjunction with the species of orchids I choose.

Wow, that was a lot of fancy words above! xD

Because I'm working with only 20" across, I'm actually toying going Metal Halide and with at least a fan inside. Mounting should be a prob but my question is what do we think of this product by Sun Systems.

Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture
Sun System HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture | Sunlight Supply, Inc. - Indoor Gardening Supplies, Grow Lights, Hydroponics, and Lighting

Thank you kindly,
Jessica
I think an HID Metal Halide would be overkill. Besides that your link is for an HID High Pressure Sodium bulb. It is a 2000K bulb (2K). It would grow plants but it would be extremely red in color. Your colors would suck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep it was late and on a whim I thought, "MH! That would work!" Lesson here is don't do research at midnight. I'm definitely going to go the LED route.

Just having some issues finding a good brand of a LED fixture. Has anyone tried those panels? The only one I could find threw off way too much red for my tastes.

Uploading pics as I just put the drainage and subtrate in today.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thank you!

Do you keep orchids Azure? And if so they are doing well under LEDs?
I do but I don't have any in the tanks that have the LED bulbs. I have only had these bulbs a few months, but the plants in the tanks have really nice color and I like the bulbs so much that I would love to change the lights on all of my tanks.

Reactions: fishr

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet! Thank you kindly for the feedback. I think I'm pretty much sold on my new lighting. :)

However, I'm going to take my time with this build. I'm going to be reading about orchids and probably asking questions along the way. :eek: Andy's Orchids will be my first stop. xD

Also, as a totally irrevelant update, I put some pink springs in for my mini mold eaters. haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well Fishr I will be watching this post, This is the same tank that I have. I am very new 2nd post. But I have many ideas that I have learned from here.
So I will watch and learn.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jsb-

Well I'm a beginner-to intermediate with building vivs, lol, but I'm hoping my epic failures during my reefing days will remind me not to do something stupid. Like setting the rug on fire.

I hope I don't disappoint.

By the way, how many gallons is yours? Mine is used and I can't remember by just looking at it. Hex's are not popular here. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts