Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct place to post.... but I am in the middle of constructing my tank and I have the pond set up.

I went to the pet store and got 5 guppies for 1$ and thought I would try out to see if they would do alright in the pond..... they were all dead within about 2 hours.

My question is..... is this normal? Is there something in there that will be just as toxic to my frogs as these fish? ANy help would be great

·
Registered
521 Posts
How did you acclimate them? How often do you do water changes?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is your pond heated? Guppies are warm water (tropical) fish and need the water temp. at 76-78 degrees. This would be my best guess within two hours, especially if you did not drive home right after the purchase, i.e. the water in the bag could have gotten too cold, stressed fish. Acclimation could be a factor too. If someone sprayed air fresherners or any type of aerisol around the tank without the knowledge - that would certaintly do it, but it be a very quick death to the fish.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We will need a lot more information about your set up than what you posted to try and find an explanation. What exactly is the set up that you have the fish in and is the water cycled? Are the first two questions that will help out a lot.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Pick up a nitrite and an ammonia liquid test kit (not the strips, they suck) if you don't already have them. Those are going to be the two most basic water paramaters you'll want to check routinely (outside of temp, etc...). Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Too vague of information to answer...
What materials were used in the construction of the vivarium?
How much water? was it cycled? was the water treated?

If your still setting the tank up, things could have leached into the water, there might not be enough water, its likely not cycled water.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Miners used to use canaries to see if the air was safe or toxic. The death of the fish might be an indication that the viv might not be ready yet for frogs. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a very small pond, and it is being recycled through a pump in the terrarium. My build is shown in pictures on this thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ge-exoterra-construction-journal-im-noob.html

I used Great Foam, and Silicone, the pond is small, and it has a reddish color to it. It was for sure not warm enough... probably down around 71 or 72. THe biggest deal with this is not if fish can survive or not... but more importantly..... is it something that will kill the frogs. If the pond is too small or too cold or too whatever to have fish I am fine not having fish... but again, want to make sure the frogs will be okay.

I dont plan on introducing the frogs for a month or two while the plants establish better, but what to fix what I can right away

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you have just a stream dripping in it might be that there was not enough oxygen in the water and you might need something to airate the water

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMO, your pond area isn't big enough for fish.

you also really rushed adding fish. if you had enough water to really support them, you'd still want to let a system like this cure for at least a week, with daily water changes, to remove any contaminants from construction. Then, you'd probably want to make sure and cycle the tank and see if it's keeping a reasonable temperature.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you have just a stream dripping in it might be that there was not enough oxygen in the water and you might need something to airate the water
After seeing how small the water area is and that you put 5 in there I really think this might be it.

I would say avoid just avoid the fish. After all you dont want those guppies eating tads do you?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I think I will avoid the fish altogether... but should I be flushing the water system a few times before bringing in frogs? and will my plants suffer at all..... should I take them out for a time?

·
Registered
646 Posts
So I think I will avoid the fish altogether... but should I be flushing the water system a few times before bringing in frogs? and will my plants suffer at all..... should I take them out for a time?
Im gonna assume you will be fine but yes def do a bunch of water changes and lets your take cycle for a while.

Someone else may be able to chime in if parasites brought in on the fish may be a problem

·
Registered
713 Posts
THe biggest deal with this is not if fish can survive or not... but more importantly..... is it something that will kill the frogs.
Personly, I found this statement disturbing. Just because the guppies were 5/1$ and because of your lack of patience to ask an employee for info on the fish's needs, they are dead. But since the frogs fetch a higher price tag, they're more valuable with time, preperation, etc. I hope you learned from your mistake and will be more patient in the future.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm sure it's been said before, but your water feature is way way too small for fish of any kind. I know bettas can tolerate small enclosures, but it isn't exactly a happy life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts