Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days back I posted in the beginner forum showing the start of my first vivarium build. Here it is with some more plants and some re-arranging. I'd love any feedback you can give.

It is just a standard 20 gallon tall that I plan on adding 3-4 vents to once it's completely set up :)

sorry for the poor pictures!

here's my still to-do list (not in any order):
()drill glass top for ventilation and misting system
()get misting system
()get heater for room to raise temperatures
()mount last two tillandsias
()practice fruit fly culturing to get the hang of it
()probably other things I am forgetting...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Beautiful! Do you hhave microfauna establishing in the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a springtail population that has been established for several weeks now :) when I was planting the new plants they were scattering everywhere!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That looks great! If you are able to, I think you could also put some film canisters in the tank, especially on the glass on the sides. I've read that thumbnails sometimes like to lay eggs in them. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great! If you are able to, I think you could also put some film canisters in the tank, especially on the glass on the sides. I've read that thumbnails sometimes like to lay eggs in them. :)
haha I actually have some in the mail right now from NeHerp. I ordered the one with built in suction cups to mount on the walls. but thanks, I'm hoping they do like laying in them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

updated full tank shop :) It's been growing in really nicely since I last put up pictures. I've aded a few more tillandsias and I've installed the mistking misting system (the mister goes off 2 times a day for 10 seconds each, it keep the humidity about right and condensation off of the glass) And I put an about 1.5 inch wide passive vent all along the back of the top

One of my bromeliad's pup growing

tillandsia blooming

·
Registered
476 Posts
get heater for room to raise temperatures
What are the temperatures now?
You may not need to raise the temps, most darts need temps in the mid 70s and heat is usually the biggest danger. also keep in mind that your lights heat the tank as well.

Fabulous viv by the way, your future frogs will love it:)!

Edit: you may also want to take the broms out of the ground and mount them like you would a tillindsia. Broms are prone to rot when they are planted in the ground.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Gorgeous. Really nice tank you've put together. I love the splashes of color.
What type of vents will you be putting in there? I'm sure they will be very happy.

I've never had much ulck with my tillandsias in dart frog tanks. How long have you had them in there? Do you have any vents in the tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The temperatures were raised some and they stay in the mid-low 70s, but the temps outside have gotten higher recently. I have a heater since for a while they stayed consistently in the mid 60s
I was worried about how the bromeliads would do in the ground and planned to mount them if I noticed rotting, but they seem to be doing rather well so far (They've been in there for about one and a half months, maybe two)

The tillandsias seem to be rather happy (they are putting out pups) I do have a vent all the way across the back and the misting system stirs the air a lot so maybe that's why they've been doing well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the 2 plants in the front left and right?
If you mean the ones on the ground, they are baby tears. Since the rest of my plants were slow growers I wanted at least one that would grow faster, so far they've been very happy and pretty :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got two vents today! (Sean stewart line)

I'm so excited- these are my first dart frogs! They seem pretty bold too, didn't go into hiding right away or anything.

They are tiny, I'm not sure I realized just how small they were going to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts