Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm really new to the hobby, and I'm planning to build my first vivarium soon! I want this to go as well as possible, so i've already started planning for what i want to do. Here are some of my ideas:

• The vivarium won't house any animals, only plants (apart from springtails and maybe isopods)
  • I want to convert an Ikea DETOLF cabinet into a vivarium. I think the height and narrow with looks very cool and i want to try it out. I've already did some research about this, and more people have done it. There aren't a lot of examples, though. So if someone from this community has done something similar I would love to know!
  • I terms of plants, there are some philodendron and anthurium in my care right now that i would love to put in it. Mainly my P. Melanochrysum, P. Lupinum and A. Polyschystum have hight priority for the vivarium. In addition to that, some ferns, a few orchids, maybe a Nepenthes and of course a lot of moss.
  • For de background, i'm not sure yet what to do. I've read a lot about Hygrolon, but it's difficult to get here in the Netherlands. I was thinking about doing a dripwall-like setup with maybe felt or something similar. Another idea i had was to just put expanding foam on the back and to cover it with coconut fiber. I'm not really sure what would be the best for this particular setup, so feel free to add any other ideas!
  • The substrate i want to go for is mainly orchid bark, perlite and coconut fiber. If i'm doing a dripwall, it will be totally different and i think i won't do any substrate at all (maybe a carpet of moss). There's for sure going to be a false bottom.
  • I'm also not sure if i'm going to use a spraying or misting system. I'm affraid the Philodendron and Anthurium will get too wet with a spraying system, but it will be beneficial for any orchids maybe? I'm really unsure about this one so please let me know!
  • Since this will be a tall setup, i think only a light from above wont suffice, so i think i'll add some lightstrips on the sides of de vivarium so everything gets plenty of light.

There are some things i haven't really thought about as well, like fertilizing the plants and pest control, but it think i'm at an early enough stage to nog worry about that yet.

It will probably be a long project, since it will be a lot of work to make this happen and i'm still in college. But i'm really stoked to get to work and show you the results!

Also, if you have anything to add, some feedback, or a question please let me know! I really want to gather as much information as possible so it all goes well.

Thanks for reading and i'll update soon probably!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I looked up this cabinet and it looks to be glass which saves you a lot of trouble. The part that is still a lot of trouble is the top and bottom which is not glass. You are going to need to waterproof the bottom at the very least. Also the whole cabinet is not waterproof on the seams so you will need to come up with a solution for that (probably silicone). As to how to waterproof the bottom? Rubber paint or epoxy coatings are probably your best bet with more silicone in the corners. It sounds like you are going to need a whole basin so you will need at least some glass siliconed to front in the bottom to hold in your false bottom and water reservoir etc. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I'm thinking about using the glass shelves for the bottom part, one on the bottom and one up right to make a basin for substrate. I'll sillicone the corners i think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts