Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been planning my first tank for a while now. I did a good amount of research on here and have made many changes along the way.

I have my plants growing in 2 large Sterilite containers, started my isopods/springtails, I got my misting system, and I have finally finished my background of the 18x18x24 Exo Terra. My original intention was to use the tank to house some tree frogs, but I found myself becoming intrigued by dart frogs and how beautiful and active some of the species are. The springtail culture is already doing well, as for the isopods they spend a lot of the time burrowed in the ground. How long will it take for them to establish themselves? I bought 25 dwarf whites about a month or so ago.

I know it is important to settle on frogs before designing the tank, but I have been changing my mind constantly. I wanted to get some thumbnails so I could possibly house a small group of them, and they would get good use of the vertically oriented tank. I have 4 small bromeliads that I purchased to put in the tank for the thumbnails as I heard they love those plants. However I have been reading that they are not a very good beginner frog. Is this the case or would they be ok?

Now I am looking to figure out the best way for me to create the glass lid so that I can keep moisture in the tank. I have read people saying about 20% of the lid should be screen for ventilation and it is best to have this screen towards the back of the tank, and leave the rest of the lid being glass. So would it be a good idea to go to a glass cutter and have them cut those pieces for me and while they are at it drill the holes for my misting system? I was planning on putting two single misting nozzles on the top towards each side of the tank. How far from the front and sides of the tank should the misting nozzles be?

As for draining the tank I am too scared to drill the glass myself (more so since I have put a lot of effort into setting this tank up). Maybe if I do another tank I will install the bulkhead first so I do not have to worry about shattering a completed tank. Anyway, I was thinking about going the PVC pipe/siphon method. Does this method hold up ok over time?

For my drainage layer, Would 40ppi aquarium foam filter pad do well? It is about 1 inch thick, so I would put another inch or so of drainage on top of the filter. I see most people recommending leca clay balls. Does Fluval Stratum, Seachem Florute, or Eco Complete work as a drainage layer? Just curious as I have some laying around that I have not used yet.

I also gathered some beautiful magnolia leaves from a local park. I emailed their staff asking if they used pesticides/fertilizers on their plants/grass. They mentioned they do not use pesticides, but that they use Neem, Hollytone, and Milorganite fertilizers. I soaked the leaves then rinsed them and used a gentle brush to remove any dirt. I plan on washing with soap to be safe and then baking the leaves at 250 degrees in my oven to make sure they are sanitized. My question is would the leaves be safe for use following this process?

How long prior to ordering the frogs should I get FF cultures established? And the number of cultures required would vary depending on the number/size of the frogs I would imagine. Do you buy premade FF food or create it yourself? Also what supplements do you recommend for dusting these flies in?

Thanks for any input as it is appreciated.

Ricky

·
Registered
106 Posts
"As for draining the tank I am too scared to drill the glass myself (more so since I have put a lot of effort into setting this tank up). Maybe if I do another tank I will install the bulkhead first so I do not have to worry about shattering a completed tank. Anyway, I was thinking about going the PVC pipe/siphon method. Does this method hold up ok over time? "

I simply used black silicone and glued black 1/4" tubbing along the back corner up through the top. I put a female female 1/4" quick connect elbow at the top. When I need to drain (which is almost never in CO) I just connect a longer 1/4" tubbing and siphon the water out. The tube is just about touching the bottom of the tank so I can drain almost all of the water.

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
What I (and some others) like to do with the exo terras is to use pieces of glass to cover the existing screen lid piece. You would get pieces that don't fully cover the squares of screen and then overlap them to adjust the ventilation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"As for draining the tank I am too scared to drill the glass myself (more so since I have put a lot of effort into setting this tank up). Maybe if I do another tank I will install the bulkhead first so I do not have to worry about shattering a completed tank. Anyway, I was thinking about going the PVC pipe/siphon method. Does this method hold up ok over time? "

I simply used black silicone and glued black 1/4" tubbing along the back corner up through the top. I put a female female 1/4" quick connect elbow at the top. When I need to drain (which is almost never in CO) I just connect a longer 1/4" tubbing and siphon the water out. The tube is just about touching the bottom of the tank so I can drain almost all of the water.
Thanks for the reply.

I will look into that. So you just siliconed the 1/4" tubing onto your background, or did you run it behind that? Is the tubing extending out of the tank, or do you open the lid to get to it?

Ricky

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I (and some others) like to do with the exo terras is to use pieces of glass to cover the existing screen lid piece. You would get pieces that don't fully cover the squares of screen and then overlap them to adjust the ventilation.
Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a much simpler solution. My only concern is what I would do to get my mistking nozzles into the tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ran it behind my backgrounds.

Also, I drilled a hole in the glass cover for my mistking nozzle. You also have to punch a hole in the screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran it behind my backgrounds.

Also, I drilled a hole in the glass cover for my mistking nozzle. You also have to punch a hole in the screen.
What would you do to take care of the jagged edges of the screen when you cut the hole in it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What would you do to take care of the jagged edges of the screen when you cut the hole in it?
Just fold them over. It's a very small hole you have to cut. You really only need to snip a few squares then you can push the hole open more.

Reactions: fishingguy12345

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again,

Do you fasten you mister nozzles directly to the screen? And how many pieces of glass should I have to set over each other?

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Hi again,

Do you fasten you mister nozzles directly to the screen? And how many pieces of glass should I have to set over each other?

Thanks,
Ricky
I use a piece of plastic/plexiglass to make a support for the nozzle.

As for how many pieces of glass: I really don't have a number to tell you, sorry

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a piece of plastic/plexiglass to make a support for the nozzle.

As for how many pieces of glass: I really don't have a number to tell you, sorry
Appreciate for the reply! No worries on the number, I will try to work it out.

So the plastic/plexiglass is it a sheet that sits flat on the screen? How is this glass secured, or is it cut to be snug?

Is it a bad idea to glass one side of the Exo Terra lid in completely, and then have smaller pieces of glass for the other side to adjust the ventilation?

(edit grammar)

Thanks again,
Ricky

·
Super Moderator
2,637 Posts
Appreciate for the reply! No worries on the number, I will try to work it out.

So the plastic/plexiglass is it a sheet that sits flat on the screen? How is this glass secured, or is it cut to be snug?

Is it a bad idea to glass one side of the Exo Terra lid in completely, and then have smaller pieces of glass for the other side to adjust the ventilation?

(edit grammar)

Thanks again,
Ricky
The pieces just sit on the screen.

The other idea your have will also work, if I'm understanding what you mean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pieces just sit on the screen.

The other idea your have will also work, if I'm understanding what you mean.
Haha, so here is a paint masterpiece to show the plan.

Red is a piece of glass cut to fit within the screen tightly.
Blue are the drilled holes for the bulkheads 5/8''.
Green are smaller pieces of glass I can use to adjust the ventilation on the fly.

Does that work?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts