Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This viv took about 4 days to put together. I had several problems come up, so I had to come up with some innovations for solving these problems. All in all, I'm rather proud of it, and I don't think it's half bad for a first viv. I haven't been online much the last few days, and this is why...

I got the plants and cork in, and these bromeliads came wrapped in newspaper. I had to get them planted in something temporary until they were ready to go in the viv. Yet, I didn't want to actually buy pots that I was only going to use for a day or two.

I ordered a pound of cork, but only got 2 little pieces that wouldn't be enough to cover the background. So I had to go to Petsmart and buy two more pieces of cork. This is one of the few times I will say "Hooray for Petsmart!" I put the two little pieces together, and the ones from Petsmart on the sides. This is just the layout to get an idea of where I want everything before I silicone them to the glass. I stuffed the gaps between the cork, as well as between the cork and the back wall to prevent the frogs from getting back there.

While letting the silicone dry, I had to find a way to protect it from the cat while I was out at work.

My original idea was to use foam peanuts. Since the cork did not touch the bottom of the viv, I tried to build up the foam peanuts to cover it up. I went just a tad overboard. I didn't account for the other layers and how deep it would be. You can see the gap between the two pieces of cork in the middle. I eventually stuffed that with sphagnum moss and planted a creeping fig in there.

I covered the peanuts with a thin layer of moss to keep the gravel from slipping through, then a layer of moss on top of everything. Then I added gravel around the sides to hide the foam peanuts. I ended up gutting out the substrate and doing it over.

I decided to use Styrofoam blocks instead. I found it much easier to work with. The only headache would be cleaning up the little styrofoam balls that break off when you cut it. With the other layers in mind, this was still a bit deep, so I took out the the thicker layer of foam to lower it even more. You can see the creeping fig already planted on the back wall.

This is the plant layout before I actually planted anything. It changed a little bit.

And finally, the finished product. I added the gravel, moss, hid the foam blocks with gravel, and planted the bromeliads on the back wall. I used toothpicks to hold them in place. I cut the exposed sharp ends off with wire cutters. I've planted two cuttings of creeping fig, one in the center of the back wall, and one in the ground on the left hand side. I think it will look awesome when it's all grown in. I have already seen about an inch of growth on one of the cuttings in just a couple days. As for ground cover, I'm trying to decide between pillow moss and magnolia leaves.

The frogs will be added sometime in September to allow the plants time to establish their roots. Hope you guys like it. :)

Bry

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Nice Job! What frogs are you planning on putting in there? I would suggest leucs or azureus, and if you get azureus I think one of patricks pairs would be good, so then you definitely get a pair. By the way they sell a foam cutter at michaels and other fabric stores, it is called the wonder cutter, 2 d batteries heat up a wire and it cuts through is like a hot knife through butter, plus there is no foam balls to deal with, and if need be you can make really precise cuts with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, I forgot to mention that I have made plans to put in a pair of azureus in that viv. I also plan on getting them from Patrick. Thanks for the compliment, guys. Geck, thanks for the tip, I'll have to look for that when I do my next viv. Roughly how much do they go for?

Bry

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is usally 7.50 but those craft places have coupons in their flyers for 40% of alot of the time so you can get them for almost half price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts